+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to say really can't stand the word 'fanny'...shudders!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (16-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We call it his 'willy wonka' - LOL. Not sure how this came about
    DD we call a 'gina cause she could never say it correctly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As to the legal question of proof of sexual abuse, while the anatomically correct terms ie penis, vagina are the clearest, common words that kids use that don't have other uses, eg "willy" "fanny" and "doodle" are generally unambiguous and ok.

Euphemisms like "flower" and "golf set" are where proof gets difficult - "uncle frank touched my flower" might not even register as a cause for concern.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (16-02-2014),Purple Lily  (16-02-2014),sky1  (16-02-2014),smallpotatoes  (16-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like it's weirdly unlike me and my usual attitudes towards what to teach kids, but I do prefer nicknames for children's genitals, particularly boys. Provided the real names are still taught and used and aren't thought of as rude or taboo.

I know this is really silly but penis makes me think of an adult man's one and the things it can do/is used for, whereas doodle or willy just sound like more appropriate words for harmless, innocent little boy's bits.

hmm which probably says something about how I perceive adult men's ones really (clearly not harmless and innocent!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think something can have nickname and the person still know it's proper name.
    I grew up using the word mooey, but I knew it was my v.agina

Giving a nickname to something shouldn't stop a someone knowing the correct word (obviously if taught it)
    Surely if you had a child with a nickname that was used more often than their full name, they wouldn't forget their actual name right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Proper names but occasionally willy or fanny (for girl bits obviously)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    This is going to sound really awful given the light heartedness of the thread.
    I've got quite a few lawyers in my family and we were all discussing it one day.

They said if in the awful event your child is sexually abused and they don't use the correct names for their penis/vagina then the defence can use that against them.
    Eg "a doodle/wee wee could be anything, how do we know that he/she is talking about his/her penis/vagina"

Not sure how truthful it is, none of them have dealt with that area of law but it's for that reason we tell our boys to call it their penis.

Plus it isn't a dirty word

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    I asked my friends husband this, he is a public prosecutor in Sydney and 75% of his cases are sexual assault of children and he said it's not a problem and they always start with confirming what the child is saying, in a lot of cases the kids can't even speak properly yet and they still get convictions easily based on medical/ physiological evidence

I still think its good to call them by their proper names but the kids who don't will still be looked after in court

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What's the correct word for bum?
    I'll teach my kids all the names when they are older. I don't see a problem with calling it pee pee, wee wee or balls. It's not like I've never said the medical name to them before.
    We say butt, bum, backside, tummy etc.
    when they have stomach ache I've never thought to teach them to say their intestines hurt :/
    I don't get hung up on stuff like this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (16-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use the correct names here. Although DS does call his a doodle but I say penis. When he was younger he pronounced it noodle. Sounded very cute!! I say balls for now but those rarely come up in convo.
    Girls - vagina and boobs but do say breasts sometimes.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I have to say really can't stand the word 'fanny'...shudders!
    I was 21 before I could say 'nipple' *shudder*