+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 13 days old.. wont sleep unless it's with me

So I am having problems here. My son who is 13 days old will not sleep in his comfy bassinet next to my bed at night. He either wants to be held to sleep or sleep in the bed. He wants the comfort.
    During the day I can get him to sleep and he will sleep in the bassinet out in the lounge or kitchen but as soon as night time comes. No. Not happening.

I was not a fan of co sleeping before I gave birth but its the only way to get sleep. I'm doing it safely. I dont drink smoke or take any drugs. I woukd like sone advice on how to get baby in his bed at night without leaving him there to cry and cry until he wears himself out. I think he is too young to start controlled crying.

Please dont leave negative opinions on co sleeping either. I'm here for help on how to get him in his bed only.

Thanks in advance :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Well, I fully intended not to co-sleep and I had the same experience. I co-slept most nights until my son was around 9 months. Even now, if he's sick he will only sleep near me. Remember he's still so little, he just wants to feel safe near you. I say if you don't mind doing it, and you are doing it safely, and it works, then keep doing what you're doing. It won't be forever.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-02-2014),Busy-Bee  (15-02-2014),CLEO26  (15-02-2014),KaraB  (15-02-2014),~Marigold~  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a fan of co sleeping. I wouldn't have got much sleep without it myself so please don't feel bad about it. Your baby only knows you after being inside you for so long it's only natural that he will want to be close to you

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-02-2014),CLEO26  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad about co sleeping! If you're following the SIDS guidelines it's actually a super safe way to sleep and does wonders for you and your baby.

I has the exact same experience with my DD. And honestly, only time changed anything. I just kept trying her in the cot to begin her night sleep and eventually at about 3 months she was happy to do it.

If you're happy to cosleep for the time being, go for it!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-02-2014),CLEO26  (15-02-2014),KaraB  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do what works OP. It's so early that there is a lot of time to get him sleeping on his own, it's a massive adjustment period for him. You could start by getting him used to sleeping alone in the pram, pushing always helped DS to sleep. Then gradually move him to his cot and again with a rocking motion. How are you wrapping him? Can you rock him in your arms and transfer to his cot?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-02-2014),~Marigold~  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think he's not sleeping in his cot might because his body clock hasn't switched over yet, this takes a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thing I just thought of... I used a "miracle wrap" for DD and it was amazing! She turned into a great sleeper almost instantly
    Last edited by Anjalee; 15-02-2014 at 19:15.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I co slept with DD up until 10 months. It was the ONLY way any of us could get any shut eye. It wasn't something I set out to do or planned, it was just the way it happened. It was either bring her in with me or get up to her cries every 30 minutes.
    But it wasn't ideal. I loved being close cuddly with her but with DH in the bed as well I spent most nights sleeping on one quarter of the mattress and my back was killing me. So at 10 months I started training her to sleep in her cot (controlled crying) which worked AMAZINGLY and to this day (she is now 18 months) her sleeping is great. I still co sleep most nights from around 4am but she has improved dramatically.
    It isn't recommended for newborns though. Another suggestion is maybe using a cot with the side rail removed and pulled up against your bed?

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

CLEO26  (15-02-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Do what works OP. It's so early that there is a lot of time to get him sleeping on his own, it's a massive adjustment period for him. You could start by getting him used to sleeping alone in the pram, pushing always helped DS to sleep. Then gradually move him to his cot and again with a rocking motion. How are you wrapping him? Can you rock him in your arms and transfer to his cot?
    Yes I agree, so many nights spent pushing that pram back and forth! It did work wonders though

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CLEO26 View Post
    So I am having problems here. My son who is 13 days old will not sleep in his comfy bassinet next to my bed at night. He either wants to be held to sleep or sleep in the bed. He wants the comfort.
    During the day I can get him to sleep and he will sleep in the bassinet out in the lounge or kitchen but as soon as night time comes. No. Not happening.

I was not a fan of co sleeping before I gave birth but its the only way to get sleep. I'm doing it safely. I dont drink smoke or take any drugs. I woukd like sone advice on how to get baby in his bed at night without leaving him there to cry and cry until he wears himself out. I think he is too young to start controlled crying.

Please dont leave negative opinions on co sleeping either. I'm here for help on how to get him in his bed only.

Thanks in advance :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I could have written this EXACT post with my 8 day old!