+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you put TTC on hold for a trip to Bali??

Hi everyone, I am finding it very difficult to come to a decision on this and would like your opinions please.

I have an 18 month old DS and we are ready to start TTC No.2. However, my family has a holiday booked to Bali (paid for in full) this coming April. If we try and I fall pregnant on my next cycle in March I will be 5 weeks along in Bali (this is very plausible as I fell first month with DS). If I don't fall pregnant in March or we choose not to try in March because of the holiday it will be at least June until we can try again. My nephew was born sleeping from Trisomy 18 at 23 weeks gestation and his due date would have been in mid January 2013, therefore out of respect for my sister I want to avoid a January due date and would have to skip TTC during April / May pushing it out to June.

I guess my question is, would you go to Bali when 5-6wks pregnant or would you wait to TTC? I really don't want to miss out on the opportunity of falling pregnant in March for a 5 day holiday to Bali but I don't know if it is irresponsible of me to knowingly TTC when there are so many risks over there.

PS. DH isn't really bothered either way, says the choice is mine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as you can take care of what you're eating and don't get morning sickness right away, I would go ahead with ttc. You will be super lucky to fall pregnant first time a second time!
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Addicted to Love  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't put off ttc. I'm coming from a very biased position right now though. After conceiving DS first go we have now been trying for nearly 7 months with our second and have just embarked on the very early stages of ivf.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally if it was me I would wait the extra few months. If you needed some medical care when over there I wouldn't trust their healthcare system. I also get bad morning sickness though so that's another reason for me to avoid it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Personally if it was me I would wait the extra few months. If you needed some medical care when over there I wouldn't trust their healthcare system. I also get bad morning sickness though so that's another reason for me to avoid it.
    That's a good point but you could need medical care at any time, not just being very early pregnant. At that stage of pregnancy there's nothing a dr can do for you anyway, to be realistic. If you misscarried and needed medical attention it would be no differ t if you got in an accident and had bleeding needing to be seen to if you get me.
    The odds are pretty low you'd need to see a dr that early on for anything pregnancy related.

The sickness thing would be a factor for me though too! I get sick at 6 weeks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We were ttc for almost two years when we decided to plan a holiday to Vietnam with some friends. We were doing fertility treatment and decided that we would do one more cycle then put it on hold.

Turns out i fell pregnant and our friends are now currently in Vietnam without us. So in answer to your question, we did make the decision to put it on hold for a holiday but then luck was on our side and we fell pregnant so a different decision was made for us!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I wouldn't put off ttc. I'm coming from a very biased position right now though. After conceiving DS first go we have now been trying for nearly 7 months with our second and have just embarked on the very early stages of ivf.
    Thanks babyla, I have many friends and family that have ended up in the same situation after conceiving easily the first time and so realistically I know this could happen to me also (I am in my early 30's) and fertility really does take different turn after that big 3-0. I hope you get your BFP very soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats thought provoking re the medical care as I really never considered the fact that I could possibly need it so early on. That being said then, do you think the risk is greater that early on at 4-6wks in case of ectopic etc as opposed to travelling at say 8-10wks pregnant as the other possibility is that I try now, as in today / tonight, I am ovulating right now, could make an impulsive decision. I could deal with the morning sickness (I THINK) and may actually feel better about it if the pregnancy is slightly further along!?

Arrrggghhh, big decision!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I'd rather go at 6 wks pregnant than 8.
    Ectopic isn't that common really. You have more chance of not having one.
    Maybe just wait if you can so then you don't have to worry? If you bad dh are healthy it shouldn't take longer than 3 cycles to conceive, never has for me, and I'm not a super fertile person. I've got two after 30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could always get a scan before you travel if you get pregnant to rule out ectopic?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post: