+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Similar experience with suggestion of GD?

I'm 25wks and have been sent to have a GTT (the 2hr one) as I'm measuring 'big'. This is my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy I was overweight and had the same 'big baby' diagnosis but passed the GD test and had no other symptoms. I went on to have a 9lb 14oz baby. This time round I have 'big baby ' diagnosis, I am overweight but I've also had a thrush infection and have been experiencing tiredness. I've been taking an iron supplement as my iron levels were low too, and that has helped a little (but I also look after 2 other kids now).
    My question is, have other women similar in instance to me passed the GD test a second time, despite some symptoms? I am hoping (as is OB) that I just make big babies.
    I know I'll probably just have to wait for results, but if someone else has experienced the same and been fine it would really put my mind at ease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have PCOS, am overweight (technically obese) and have had two big babies (4.08kg and 4.68kg). I've never had thrush though. Passed the 2 hr GTT test with flying colours both times. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope sorry

I had gdm with dd2 and I failed the gct this time. I am over weight too and my ob is positive I have gdm again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Oh it's making me so nervous! I've only just secured a place on midwives clinic and if I have GD then I'm fairly certain I am no longer able to attend, which I desperately wanted. I just want it to be the 26/2 so I can know.
    CluckCluck- what happens with GD? What is used to manage it? Will it mean an increased risk of complications?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered probiotics for the thrush? I read some stuff (after my third baby) that taking probiotics can prevent, in some cases, GD. I was on them during my third preg for thrush and that was the only preg I didn't have GD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was diagnosed with gd at 28 weeks. Nearly 34w now. I was very underweight pre preg and have gained 12kg so far.
    I went to the seminar I had to do. Basically it causes bigger babies. So issues of pushing out shoulders can causes problems. I was also told that there is a 50% chance of getting type 2 dib within 15years.
    I have been doing my bgls 4 times a day and need to keep it under 7.0mmol 2 hrs after meals. So a total of about 180 grams of carbs a day is recommended. It's all about the carbs including fruit, veg, and foods considered healthy. Sugary foods will have more carbs so it's best to stay away from them

Hope you pass the test

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to control mine with diet and exercise but I ended up on insulin 4 times a day. It's not really being over weight that causes gdm, it's due to hormones. Being over weight just increases your risk factor.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Another GD mummy here, I would suggest decreasing your sugar and carb intake to under 180g a day in the lead up to your test, to reduce the risk of having a random high fasting sugar level, however if you have GD you have GD! Being overweight is a risk factor, but it's all about the hormones and how your body is responding to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to add to my above post. I was told its age as well that increases chance. I am nearly 36 and goes away within 48hrs of having bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies . I have everything crossed and at least have a bit more info on what might happen.
    Thanks to you