+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any HR consultants on here? I have a few questions - hoping you can help

My DH has been advised that he is likely to be made redundant very soon as his employer didn't get a contract that they were hoping for and now there will be very little work in his field very few people in his team may keep their job.

He is a permanent employee but has only been in this position for approx 6 months. He has been advised that he is not entitled to any redundancy pay as he hasn't been there for one year and will only be given one weeks notice

Despite this, his employer just advertised a position on seek that is at a similar level to my DHs role but in a slightly different field - my question is are they obligated to try to redeploy him? He meets a significant portion of the selection criteria for this position.
    Also do they need to provide him with some support to find another job?

Sorry one more question - he had colleagues in the same position as him but on contract positions. Should he be given more chance to keep his job than them? He is unsure when their contracts expire.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't answer all your questions but I assist with HR and I can tell you when work is winding down, the employees who do not perform that well are the first to go and the employees that we want to keep but can't usually are the first to be reemployed when a position becomes available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DH is a hr consultant and says that there really isn't much you can do. Business financial grounds is a good argument for them. He can ask to be considered for the other job but he's not entitled to anything.
    Sorry.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If there is a suitable comparable role, best practice would be for him to be considered for it. But if he doesn't have the right experience and there are better candidates he is in no way guaranteed it. They are not obligated to offer any support to find another job.

Being perm doesn't affect beind selected for redundancy over someone on a contract. A person is not made redundant - a position is. So an individual's employment status is irrelevant.

Hope he finds something else soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your replies. It really helps. Fingers crossed he finds a more secure job soon.