+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF overseas

Hubby and I have been TTC for 8 years. I am 36yo and have an AMH of 2.2 pmol/L and have been told (by several international IVF centres) that I won't concieve with my own eggs. Due to the strict regulation of using donor eggs in Australia (especially Victoria) hubby and I have now decided that our best option my be to go overseas. We are looking at Mexico and would really love to hear from people who have had done this (good or bad). I have become frustrated with the delays I have gotten from Gisel about the Interafertility in Guadalajara, who I have noticed has frustrated many people, so I am hoping to deal directly with a fertility centre rather than with an agency.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Luke and Beck

I have done 7 cycles of IVf here in VIC, and one donor cycle in Greece (two embryos transferred, pregnant, miscarriage at 7 weeks). We chose Greece because the clinic was recommended by our FS. Our experience of that clinic was actually pretty ordinary, no communication, mixed messages about meds, and treated us like they were processing someone else's patient rather than treating us like real patients. But we have since decided to do a second cycle and have selected a different clinic (Serum) in Greece and they have been amazing. So prompt at replies (usually within 12 hours), so thorough in the preparation, so flexible around the actual trip itself. Hubby is flying over in a couple of weeks to do his bit and they'll freeze that. I will be there for 7 days in APril during which time I will receive an embryo transfer at some point. Their flexibility means that instead of the whole thing (incl flights, accomm, and IVF costs) is going to be about half the expense of last time. The donors are mainly Greek, polish, ukranian.

Having done one donor cycle, I would really recommend making sure the clinic you choose gives you confidence that they will treat you professionally and with consideration. It's such a stressful thing to do, way worse than a cycle here, that you want to be comfortable with your clinic and not second guessing everything that goes on.

Good luck! Hope it all goes to plan and you come home with some very special excess baggage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps - last time there was no agency involved, it was just an email to the clinic from my FS telling them I was coming, then I arrived on the doorstep with my bundle of medical records and that was it. I had to pay my FS a $750 "management fee", then it was 5000 euro for the treatment, plus the cost of my meds, flights and accom for three weeks.

This time I am dealing directly with the new clinic who tell me what meds I need and what tests I need to do (which was not much because we've done most things already). I then speak to my new FS about the necessary meds, tests etc and she works with me to do what I need to do. It's very quick and easy. The cost is 5000 euro for the full treatment, plus my meds, accom for 7 days and flights. There is also no waiting time - othe than what it takes to prep your lining etc. I've picked April for convenience ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Vixjc, thank you for your info! I have sent an email to Serum and hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. It sounds like they could be a great option!

It wasn't Melbourne IVF that you had to pay a management fee to was it? They are the ones I'm hoping to use but certainly not if they are going to charge me extra fees on top of the medication and consult fees!

I'd love to hear how it goes for you with them in April!

Thanks, I hope you come back with a little extra baggage too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lukeandbeck

Just wanted to let you know there is an Egg Donation thread on Bubhub and there are lots of successful stories on there particularly for Cape Town, South Africa. The Cape Fertility Clinic have very high success rates and many Egg Donor Agencies and egg donors to choose from with extensive online profiles and pics as well. I went over in August and am 30 weeks pregnant first go :-) I also had the holiday of a lifetime - which surprised me as I wouldn't have chosen it as a holiday destination.

I also had all my meds and scans organised through my GP - no IVF clinic fees here! The cost of Cape Fertility was also a selling point :-)

Good luck on your donor journey.

Wish
    Last edited by wishmeluck; 19-02-2014 at 07:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wasn't Melbourne IVf - the FS was a Monash IVF FS, but I don't believe the fee went to Monash, it was direct to the FS himself. My current FS is a City Fertility FS (and she's awesome!), but again, the trip is not through City Fertility at all.

You'll probably get an email reply from Katie pretty quickly (I've even received them within 12 hours when Katie must have been writing on a Sunday) - Katie is really helpful with your intial enquiries and then an appointment is scheduled for a telephone consult with Penny. All my contact now is direct with Penny and she always responds within 24 hours.

Wish - how did you get all your meds from your GP. When I had a last minute crisis at xmas and tied to get progesterone from my GP they said that only FS's can prescribe fertility meds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They had no problem prescribing crinone. I've also had renewed scripts for the progesterone pessaries from her too. Maybe check around or ask the pharmacist about the prescribing rights? I'm also in WA maybe they have different regs? :-) Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    HUGE congrats Wish! That's awesome! I looked at Cape Town but I was very put off by the crime rates and traveller warnings. I'm going on my own because hubby and I can't get away together (because we can't get a sitter to come and stay with our animals) so I have big concerns with going somewhere safe.

Vixjc, I got a reply back this morning. I did some research last night though and found that Athens has a large population of stray dogs in the city. Considering they say that IVF success depends on you being relaxed I dedided that it may be better to avoid Athens! Our dogs are a huge part of our life and I have pretty major issues with dogs suffering and or not being loved and cared for. I'd really preffer not to be running around stressing about the poor dogs the whole time!

I have just had some replies back from Prague clinics and they have some excellent packages at very affordable prices!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lukeandbeck For This Useful Post:

wishmeluck  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lukeandbeck - I'm single so was in Cape Town on my own. It felt perfectly safe - I stayed in a large hotel and had names of taxi drivers recommended by the clinic and did lots of day tours which was fantastic. Cape Town is very touristy if you stick to that you'll be just fine. Johannesburg is another story. There are several women on the South Africa thread who went on their own too :-) Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand about the dogs - our pooches are rescue dogs and have really fallen on their feet, so spoilt! They're going to love having a toddler dribbling food all over the place The dog situation in Athens is hopefully not what you might think, in Asia the stray dogs break my heart, in Greece its different - to start with, the dogs are kinda chubby! I'm told that all the dogs (and cats too) are registered and owned by the local council and the council gives them all a name. The council facilitates their vaccinations etc, and they tend to hang out and play/sleep together as a pack which is pretty cool and the local residents interact with the dogs quite a bit from what I saw when I was there last time. If a resident wants to claim 'ownership' of a particular dog (which I understand happens a lot), they make arrangemenets with the council to take over ...

But Prague is a lovely spot too! I've heard some of the clinics there can be very large but that's not a bad thing sometimes. I've also heard really good things about South Africa. For us, hubby is Greek, so it kinda makes sense to have this done in Greece. I've just found out that my old FS does in fact work with other clinics (not just the one in Athens he sent us to last Nov) and his receptionist is sending me the information about them. Even though I already have my next cycle sorted, I'm curious about the options. Once I get it, I'll let you know what clinics they are recommending. THe fertility friends uk website has a lot about overseas clinics as it seems a lot of UK women head OS for treatment, you could trawl through there for some ideas and reviews?

So excited for you