+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Overseas adoption?

Hello dh and I are considering overseas adoption. Just would like to know around how long does it take and how much around about all up does it cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Which state are you in? If you are in NSW, I have some information. Length of time also depends on which country/ countries you are considering and the program you're applying for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys we too are looking into adoption for the first time. (As we can't conceive naturally). Is it easier to adopt in brisbane or overseas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd also love to hear about the process. How much and how long it takes? Do you have to be part church group for overseas adoption?
    Hubby and i have always mentioned how we would love to adopt a child from overseas. My mum side the family has always adopted as well as have their own biological children. So somthing close to my heart. When I was little I pictured having two of my own kids then adopting. However we have struggled to convince for few years now thinking it maybe the other way around for me now.
    Personally I think I'd love to adopt from the Philippines as I have family ties to that country. However I've heard a requirement is you have to part of a church group which we are not. The time frame and costs involved?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you haven't already had a look, the federal Attorney General's website lists the countries that Australians can adopt from. It also has some information on the different country programs

http://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarr...s/default.aspx

Each state handles their own adoption applications. The Attorney General's website also has links to each state's central authority and contact details. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sunnydsy

we have gone through the QLD local adoption program. It isn't easy on either the international or local program. Check out the Department of Child safety website for info on the next information session and book in. There are only certain countries you can apply to internationally. the first step is the expression of interest application, and you can wait on that list for up to 2 years. (We were not in that list long) be really thorough with the application. If you are invited to assessment there are criminal records checks, medicals and financials, you must also have stopped fertility treatment for at least 6 months before making an expression of interest. If you pass meds, finances, criminal records, there is then attendance at the education days and finally assessments with your social worker. If you are successful you go on the prospective adoptive parent register. It's not an order thing the Dept considers the best interests of the child against the couples in the PAP register. You could get the call in 2 weeks, 2 months or you may never be placed. We were fortunate and were successful. It was truly worth everything we went through
    . Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much it's a great help. its great to hear a positive story . I haven't been on here for a while sorry for the late reply. . There is an information session on the 25 th of July in brisbane. So we are going to attend and see if we can get the ball rolling. I'm excited but nervous. How long did it take for u to get placed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Penny,
    Do you mind me asking your ages? We are currently on EOI and are considering removing our names from intercountry just to local as we're on both. How long were you on EOI for? I'd love to hear more about your journey.
    regards
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Adoptnic and Sunny,

We are 31 and 36 when we started. We weren't on the EOI for long at all a couple of months. We were placed very quickly just some months after approval. The process depends on the background of the children. The Dept are looking for the best fit for the available children. From my cruise around different government websites and FOI material during the process there can be anywhere from 7 - 20 children in QLD local adoption each year available for placement. Adoptions are now generally open and really that is the best thing for your child. We tell our little one regularly that they have 2 mums and 2 dads and we are really lucky they joined our family. The process is arduous, you will doubt yourself but it really has been completely worth it. I know how hard it is to find info for the QLD process and I am more than happy to answer questions.

PD