+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took action at just after 7 months. He was getting worse not better, I knew he could sleep 9-11 hours, he'd done it many times but he was taking forever to get to sleep at night and naps, waking 3 times a night again, my back was giving out from rocking the boofa and lying all twisted to feed him back to sleep , my DD was missing out on mum time and tiredness was causing stress all around.

His big sister slept through at just a couple of months old, he'd slept through many times from 16 weeks. I know many babies aren't ready to sleep through before 12 months but if I have one that is ready to sleep through sooner then I want it sleeping through!

I tried patting, shushing, CC with and without picking up to resettle, staying in room, cry in arms. They all made him more upset and did nothing to help night wakings. I left DH in charge one night and after more than an hour of repeatedly rocking him to sleep only to have him spring awake soon as his body touched the mattress, he left him to cry. I was up the other end of the house thinking "everyone on bubhub will flame me for letting my baby CIO" but I put music on the headphones at full volume, let DH do it his way, and 35 minutes later he was sound asleep and I didn't hear a peep until he woke happy and giggling in the morning. We still rock him to sleep, but he settles much quicker now and if he rewakes when we put him down we leave him. It has massively improved his naps and night sleep (except this week cos he's got a cold).

I'm not saying "yay for CIO, lets all do it". I'm just sharing my experience of what we did when waiting it out was going to start tearing me and my family apart.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Stretched; 14-02-2014 at 16:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try and ride it out if you are feeling okay about it. We rode it out with DS until 13 mths when I night weaned him. I was feeling resentful that he needed a breastfeed to get back to sleep and was returning to study so was exhausted. He is now 15mths and sleeps through sometime, but often wakes still (and is always up ridiculously early!)

As long as you are coping and happy enough with it I would ride it out as feeding back to sleep helps so much through teething, illnesses and developmental leaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd still woke once a night until 15 mths. But towards the end not every night just sporadically. I'd just give her a small bottle if cows milk and she'd be back asleep within minutes. Everyone told me to Start watering down her milk or just not give it but is was easy enough only took me like 5 mins and I felt mean doing that. She eventually just stopped waking for it. Im glad I just rode it out, now at 3.5 she is such an awesome sleeper goes to bed easily and often sleeps in past 8am.

I got so sick of hearing
    "omg she still wakes through the night, little billy slept through at 6 weeks" etc
    It was worth it to have such a great sleeper now.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-02-2014),Lillac  (22-05-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still riding it out with my 16 month old but it's starting to get very old, despite in my heart knowing it's still normal and okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy only just started sleeping through (7pm to 6/7am) about a month ago and he's 1.5yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 sons who didn't STTN until they were 9 to 10 months old and I was nursing 2 to 3 times a night. When I had had enough of being tired with a husband who worked away & living away from family, we set aside a week where we weren't going anywhere and let them CIO as I knew by this stage they were only feeding for comfort. It took between 2 - 4 nights and then they mostly slept through.
    I think I had to wait until I had had enough to be strong enough to hear them cry & not go in - but in reality when you time how long they cry for it feels a lot longer than what it actually is and it was something that worked for us. Each to their own though!!! I think every parent needs to make a decision on what is best for their own family & what they feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my two both night weaned earlier than they began sleeping through the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for all your responses

At the moment, I'm feeling ok with riding it out. I get a little tired at night but I can deal with it.
    Luckily he's been sleeping in until about 7am (when he was sleeping through he was waking for the day between 5:30/6am)
    My toddler has been waking at about 7 also, so I do get a sleep in too. I'm lucky there......for the moment! Lol hopefully

I get so sick of people telling me about their young babies sleeping through too. So annoying! I had a friend ask me when he was only 6 weeks if he was sleeping through yet and if I was still breastfeeding.....(expecting the normal answer to be no)

To be honnest, with DD all it took was one night of me not going into her room (she was 12 months) for her to start sleeping through. I accidentally fell asleep on the couch that night and after that, she just continued to sleep though.

I don't want to do that to DS yet. He's too little.

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I just needed to hear that it's not just my baby doing it

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Definitely not just yours.

Dd had me up to her at least 5 times last night. (6 mths).

She was a shocker for all sleep until she hit the 6 month mark, but now I can at least say he is extending her day naps and I am hoping that this will have a flow on effect into her night sleeping. I would love to be only getting up 3 times a night!

I'm a ride it out mum- it's too much effort to make any conscious changes, and then babies change habit so often it's not worth it anyway! With my boys I was getting up anywhere from 5-10 times a night and I hated life, but I must have done something right because they are great sleepers now and have been since about the age of 2. (Woot, only 18 more months before I can reliably get a full nights sleep!)