+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Valium I will only use as a last resort. Anyone's experiences with gaba melatonin or Valium greatly appreciated I don't know what to do. Waiting on psych referral to come through everything takes time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ohh, that's tough. My sister has had insomnia since she was a kid.

Have you done some reading on treating insomnia?
    Most supplements/medications (the herbal kind) to help with sleep are a very short term solution (if they work at all). Essentially they will help some people, but once you get used to them they aren't effective anymore.

First big thing for insomnia is time. If you're laying in bed trying to get to sleep, you don't stay there longer than 20 minutes. If you're awake after 20 minutes, you get up, do something relaxing, then go back to bed in a while. Much better chances of getting back to sleep.

Second in wake up time - always keep it the same (even if you have the chance to sleep in), regardless of what time you go to bed. It's also sometimes useful to go through a program of intentionally going to bed really late, then gradually bringing that earlier. Probably wouldn't try that with a child before it was recommended by a doctor though.

Third is before-bed activities. Drop all screens before bed, and find something relaxing he likes to do before bed for at least half an hour (reading, playing a board game, just chatting quietly etc.)

These are the things which my sister has had suggested by doctors, and which seem to be backed up by results of medical studies. There are a few more things commonly suggested by doctors, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. If you go back to a GP, I'd suggest asking about behavioural treatments, especially if you're not comfortable with any serious medication. Behavioural treatments tend to have a really good success rate.

Good luck!

Edit: just started doing a bit of reading afer posting that. Interesting place to start - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogniti...y_for_insomnia
    Last edited by Renn; 19-02-2014 at 08:33.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

ThisIsLiving  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the whole thread but ha anyone mentioned meditation? I suffer from insomnia and the only thing that has ever helped is downloading a meditation app and popping it in my ears while lying in bed. I've NEVER heard the end of the app!
    My sister also swears by it- after laughing hysterically at me for trying it.
    Cheap and effective for me. Worth a try!
    My husband uses "smiling mind" at his primary school for the kids

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SHAELEEJANE For This Useful Post:

ThisIsLiving  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried so many different tactics and things and still nothing is working. A sleep deprived family & more importantly a sleep deprived and anxious boy who has lost his confidence. It's truly heartbreaking. I am crying just writing this.

have tried:
    staying up later
    no electronic devices after school at all
    sticker reward chart
    relaxing music
    white noise
    laying with him
    homeopathic products
    naturopath gaba product
    reading books
    talking about any issues in the daytime

appointment with psychologist can't come fast enough. My son (& this family) need help
    Last edited by ThisIsLiving; 19-02-2014 at 20:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a spare Queen bed I would just sleep with him in there for a while? Might help with catchup sleep? Have you tried leaving a tv on ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my heart is absolutely breaking for you and your boy. All I can suggest is making up a spare bed and lying with him in it (not in his bedroom) and put some DVDs on and just lie together and watch them. When I suffer from insomnia the only thing that helps is taking the pressure off - I move into the spare room and watch tv. I tell myself that sleeping and time don't matter. If it was me I may even give him a quarter of a Valium just to try and almost re-set his sleeping habits, but obviously that's not for everyone and you need to do what you think is best for your son. Good luck with your psych appointment, I am praying you get some relief soon. Xx