+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be upset as well, we had a family cruise a few years back and it was lovely but just wouldn't be the same if someone had to miss out, especially over those reasons which are totally justified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    Yes I thought the point would be together but apparently not.

Yes I have no interest in going to Bali anymore either. I would have liked DH to go once and maybe visit the bomb site or the tribute to the victims but he just can't and I understand.

He still rings his ex-wife's mum every year on the anniversary to say he's thinking of them.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    He sounds like a keeper and I can't blame him for not wanting to take his wife and children there either not with the impression he has of Bali.

Queensland theme parks or a kid friendly cruise sounds way more enjoyable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe our family know you won't go, but they don't really understand how deep your feelings are about it. I'm sure they're not being deliberately nasty, but perhaps a bit insensitive. LIke you, I would feel hurt, but as a casual observer on the internet, I can see that feeling upset probably isn't going to help the holiday situation or your relationship with your family (which seems otherwise good or you wouldn't want to go on holidays together ).

Have you tried suggesting an alternative so that you can all go together? There are lots of nice islands near Australia, and even lots of nice places within Australia?
    Last edited by Cdro; 13-02-2014 at 16:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is a tricky one but to be honest Bali offers a lot in terms of value for money, great accommodation, etc that isn't found many other places which is why so many Aussies go back year after year.

I've never been but the good, cheap nannies and the villa style accommodation are what many of my friends explain as the reason why ONLY Bali will do.

For that reason I can sort of understand why changing the location isn't an option. Especially as someone else is footing the bill. It's likely that somewhere else comparable isn't affordable.

Very unfortunate for you guys given what happened to his BIL and can understand him not wanting to go. But I don't think I would be angry about it. You can't really be angry at something that's offered as a gift, if you know what I mean? Just another view anyway.

Oh I just remembered that my stepdad offered to take us all to the Florida theme parks this year! My step-siblings and all their kids and my mum and step-dad are all there now. Not our cup of tea so we declined. They absolutely knew it wasn't our cup of tea but I would never have expected them to choose elsewhere as that's what the majority wanted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (14-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree it's a bit insensitive. I think you need to explain again why you have to decline and suggest that next family holiday you all have a say in where to go. There are other affordable and family friendly places to stay in the world.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    This is a tricky one but to be honest Bali offers a lot in terms of value for money, great accommodation, etc that isn't found many other places which is why so many Aussies go back year after year.

I've never been but the good, cheap nannies and the villa style accommodation are what many of my friends explain as the reason why ONLY Bali will do.

For that reason I can sort of understand why changing the location isn't an option. Especially as someone else is footing the bill. It's likely that somewhere else comparable isn't affordable.

Very unfortunate for you guys given what happened to his BIL and can understand him not wanting to go. But I don't think I would be angry about it. You can't really be angry at something that's offered as a gift, if you know what I mean? Just another view anyway.

Oh I just remembered that my stepdad offered to take us all to the Florida theme parks this year! My step-siblings and all their kids and my mum and step-dad are all there now. Not our cup of tea so we declined. They absolutely knew it wasn't our cup of tea but I would never have expected them to choose elsewhere as that's what the majority wanted.
    Oh I totally understand why they choose Bali. Especially for us Perthians it's very cheap.
    I wouldn't mind so much if it was a one off thing but I think it's going to be one of those things that becomes sort of tradition, you know every few years.

I've mentioned maybe going somewhere else and parents could cover portion of air tickets or accom if they really wanted to or we could all cover our own costs.
    It wasn't really met with much enthusiasm.

As I said we live in WA. So we've got rotto, down south, up north.
    My parents even have a house in Broome!

Honestly, my parents are just really different from DH and I. They love the relaxing, cocktails kind of holidays (don't get me wrong, I do too) and spend their weekends/days biking around the river and drinking coffees.

Whereas hubby and I love the country and dirt biking and camping and fishing and 4wd. You know?

Argh I don't know. I'm just over defending DH to them because they just make it out like he is holding me back and not letting me go which is ridiculous.
    He's never really felt accepted by my Dad.
    Dad is the kind if person who wants to have a say in his kids relationships and play his part and well sort of "meddle" but DH hasn't really let him do that to ours and I think dad has always resented him for it.

I'm getting totally off topic here lol

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    He sounds like a keeper and I can't blame him for not wanting to take his wife and children there either not with the impression he has of Bali.

Queensland theme parks or a kid friendly cruise sounds way more enjoyable!
    He is

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a lovely gesture of your parents and I also understand why you decline the invite but I don't think they should have to change holiday location..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joeee For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (14-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would be extra blunt if it were my parents. "As mentioned before... Your offer to pay for us to come on a holiday is very generous. However I have decided not to take my family to Bali because of what DH went through losing his brother in law. This is not going to change. I am happy to pay my way to go to another destination, if you aren't able to do that, that's ok."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What Vic has said. A one off, no more conversations about the fact as a family you will never be going to Bali. End of discussion, never ask us again, we will however discuss other holiday destinations.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (14-02-2014)