+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Failing at parenting a toddler

Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel like I do pregnancy, birth and parenting a baby really well. But now that I have a toddler I feel like I'm completely failing when it comes to parenting him. I try to be gentle and respectful but I end up shouting, bribing, threatening etc.
    I don't have the patience and I'm just not enjoying him. I never thought I would have a favorite child but at the moment, my baby is totally my favorite! I feel so horrible because I have so much love for my baby, but then I look at my toddler and I love him a lot but I also just wish I could have a break from him and get him back when he's not like this! And then I worry that it will never get easier and he'll just get more and more difficult as he gets older.
    It doesn't help that whenever I say that I'm struggling with him, someone has to chime in with "oh, you think THIS is hard!? Wait until he's 4! (Or 10, or a teenager etc.)". I would NEVER say something like that when someone vents to me about how they're struggling with their baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have my son in daycare . It gives me a break and gives him the stimulation he needs . Is this a option for you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And yes I feel the same way. I woke up last week and just didn't want to be "mum" that day. I knew that I was going to have a bad day so we went out all day and just kept busy rather then fighting at home . Do what you need to do to keep sane

Thanks
    Reviews
    For sure. I have those moments.
    A lot of the time I vent that DS1 has made me into a mum I never wanted to be. Now DS2 is growing up and is presenting new problems for us to solve.

Things may not get better, or worse, just different.

I'm finding I am enjoying my DS1 more now he is 4. He now listens (sometimes), and doesn't bolt in the other direction as soon as I ask him to come to me (most of the time). He is still a challenge, but in a different way.

I agree with a pp. any option of utilising child are for a break? Or check out if there are creche's near you where you can leave both of them for an hour....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are now 5 & 3, but I remember when I had a 2 y/o and a newborn and one day I whispered to my newborn "you are so my favourite child". When I had a 4 & 2 y/o I remember muttering under my breath while dealing with a tantruming 2 y/o "your sister is so my favourite child at the moment". It's totally normal and it does pass. Hang in there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You're not alone, I find my 2.5 yr old toddler incredibly hard to deal with. I always feel like I'm doing something wrong and I feel like I'm getting nowhere because I have no idea what I'm doing. And you're right about the comments...they aren't helpful at all and I hate hearing it because you don't want to worry about what they are like next year or the year after you just want to cope with now.

I decided that I'm not the parent I want to be in regards to discipline so I ended up buying the book 123 Magic. I haven't been able to read it yet but it comes as highly reccomended and I'm really looking forward to getting some ideas. They also have parenting classes that I have heard are really good.

We are also looking at putting ds1 into day care after we move because I believe he is just one of those busy kids that needs lots of stimulation that I can't always give him (I have a 6 month old aswell). Not only would he get to learn and play at day care I would also get some respite and hopefully have a little more patience. Is day care an option for you?

I get where you're coming from because I'm there too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I was very much like this with DS1, he is extremely full on, still is at almost 6 yrs old.

When DS2 came along with a lot of health issues it almost pushed me over the edge so I had to put DS1 in daycare 2 days a week. It was a stretch moneywise but I really needed it.

But you are definitely not alone. And all kids arr different. I find DS2 an absolute breeze compared to DS1 and DS2 actually had Sensory Processing Disorder so should technically be the hard one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think most parents have days where they have just 'had it' with their kids. No matter what the age. This is me most afternoons which is when utube & a glass of wine comes in VERY handy. No advice just letting you know I think it's normal xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Oh and I dont have a favourite but I definitely have an easiest kid and the one who is easiest to please and spend time with. Doesnt mean I love him more than the other 2 just means that for now he is so easy, it makes being around him pleasant.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's in daycare 1 day a week, I really can't justify any more than that.

The worst thing is that I've worked in child care, as a nanny and an EC teacher and I never felt like this with other kids.