+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I cant eat Indian food, so that removes India from the list. I have no interest in Bali, or Indonesia, or Thailand , Vietnam. I have been to Dubai, and Northern Africa don't want to go back there. I have seen enough of China. Would not go to Brazil or Columbia in South America. I have a great love of travelling, but not to any of these places. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have an interest to travel to the Middle East or much of Africa.
    Other than that I only have places I'm more interested in travelling to than others.

I've only been to Bali 3 times but have felt more safe there than nights out in many Australian capital cities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No interest list
    NZ
    Bali/Indonesia
    US
    Scandinavia
    Pakistan
    Afghanistan

Yes please list
    Egypt
    Morocco
    Peru
    Brazil
    Sri Lanka
    UK
    France
    Croatia
    Russia
    Malaysia
    South Africa
    Ethiopia
    Zanzibar
    China
    Vietnam
    Cambodia
    Italy
    Turkey

And the list goes on.....

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Growing up in South Africa I had no interest in visiting Australia. More of the same, I thought. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I think if you get to know the people of a country they might prove your assumptions of that country to be incorrect.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (15-02-2014),Renn  (13-02-2014),RipperRita  (14-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a glance at this thread and poor NZ lol.
    It's stunningly beautiful! And a lot different from Australia in landscape and even culturally. Shame to miss it out considering how close it is

I don't think there is anywhere I wouldn't want to go. I'm still yet to do my big overseas adventure in the future and if I had it my way want to see it all. I guess the more dangerous places would be lower on my list - as in Israel/ Palestine or certain Eastern European or Asian areas where you can't go anywhere without security accompaniment.
    Last edited by BunInMyOven; 13-02-2014 at 13:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    Growing up in South Africa I had no interest in visiting Australia. More of the same, I thought. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I think if you get to know the people of a country they might prove your assumptions of that country to be incorrect.
    Totally agree

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BunInMyOven For This Useful Post:

debsch  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of them! Because I'm a big sook Other cultures and places are interesting but I prefer to observe them via the internet in the safety and comfort of my own home.
    Definitely nowhere with strong oppression or violence towards women, I'm sure I wouldn't personally be a victim but I still wouldn't feel comfortable.

Canada, West Europe, NZ and Japan would be the only places I'd happily go.
    …And technically the USA as well, seeing as I'm there right now! But it's for work and I'm not doing anything touristy so I don't think it counts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to most of the places people say they would never go to. The Middle East, South America, Asia, Europe. I've swum in the dead sea, climbed a pyramid, travelled by gondala, kissed the blarney stone, been on safari in Africa, toured graceland, (got pregnant in Hollywood - but thats another story)......... We travel to Bali frequently too - with our kids.

I have loved every minute of my experiences and feel privilaged to have had the opportunity. I sincerely hope my children grow up with the same desire to travel.

My experience has been that the worst problems in an area stem from tourists who are drunk, under the influence of drugs or just plain silly. Dont change your money at somewhere other than a registered exchange place, drink bottled water, dont leave your drinks unattended, dont go down dark alleys at night and show respect for the culture you are travelling in. Be aware of the laws of the country you are travelling in - if they include the death penalty - they mean it. Learn to say please and thank you in the language of the country you are in.

Going in with your eyes wide open to dangers and your mind open to new experiences is the best travel advice I was ever given.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

debsch  (13-02-2014),minniemarta  (14-02-2014),Mmumm  (15-02-2014),Renn  (13-02-2014),Witwicky  (14-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was hesitant to read this thread, as I thought I knew what it would hold. I'm pleased to say it's not as extreme as I thought... but it's still there. The idea that non-western countries are unsafe/not interesting/too difficult to deal with.

Of course everyone has their own preferences, and everyone's entitled to their own views. My mum moved permanently to Australia when she was 3, and hasn't left the country again (she's 65). She has no desire to.

I do find it a bit sad though, that people are so often willing to dismiss or avoid new experiences that might be challenging to them. But then, I'm sure some people find it sad that I have no desire to be involved in any sports. To each their own.

I can't think of any countries off the top of my head that I wouldn't want to visit. I'm sure there are a few I would choose not to though for safety reasons.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (13-02-2014),Jellyfishie  (14-02-2014),minniemarta  (14-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Any countries given a code red or orange on smart traveller website.
    This. I am going over to america to do a bit of the west coast next year and cant wait for my first OS trip.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Raising Leprechauns  (13-02-2014)