+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Adult umbilical hernia

Think I have one, very painful. I had one as a baby and I'm now very overweight so probably more prone to another one. Anyone have any experience with this? Did you need surgery?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one in my groin as a baby as well and now have another in my belly button since having kids (I'm not overweight so don't think that makes too much of a difference, I think sometimes your just prone to them). It's not incredibly painful at the moment and the doctor thinks surgery shouldn't be necessary unless it starts to interfere with my life which it doesn't so I'm going to leave it for the time being. Is it always painful or just when using your stomach muscles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes. I had emergency surgery at 19 weeks pregnant. If it is painful and won't go back in go to nearest a and e as it can be life threatening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Yes. I had emergency surgery at 19 weeks pregnant. If it painful and won't go back in go to nearest a and e as it can be life threatening.
    Wow really. I have been living with mine for 3 .5 years now (since last baby was born). I wonder if I should see another dr?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Adult umbilical hernia

Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Wow really. I have been living with mine for 3 .5 years now (since last baby was born). I wonder if I should see another dr?
    If you can push it back in its considered reducible and not worrying. If you can't it's an irreducible/strangulated/encacerated hernia and the bowel is losing blood supply and would become necrotic and die (the bowel that is) if you were to leave it. They are also really painful.

Your gps management sounds appropriate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes you should. If it involves your bowel it needs to operated on.

I wanted to wait until the morning as my dh was away. They said i would be dead if i waited. I was 19 weeks pregnant and it was risky to operate but i had no other choice as it had cut off the circulation to my bowel. I had no trouble with mine for 4 years and all of sudden it was crazy painful. A hell of a lot More painful than giving birth.

It much better to get fixed before it is a emergency.

Ds3 was born with one but has no pain so he will get his fixed next year after he turns 2.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    If its painful definitely seek medical advice asap.

If its not, I wouldnt stress too much. I have one, have had since after the birth of my DS2, 3.5yrs ago. It isnt painful at all though. My dr is happy to leave it for now as I am absolutely terrified of the idea of surgery.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for hijacking your thread OP... And thanks for bringing it up... I might go see my gp again and see why it hasn't gone and if I should be doing something more. Thanks ladies for the info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    If it isnt painful dont stress hun maybe just mention it at your next dr appt

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-02-2014),RipperRita  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one in my groin as a baby as well and now have another in my belly button since having kids (I'm not overweight so don't think that makes too much of a difference, I think sometimes your just prone to them). It's not incredibly painful at the moment and the doctor thinks surgery shouldn't be necessary unless it starts to interfere with my life which it doesn't so I'm going to leave it for the time being. Is it always painful or just when using your stomach muscles?
    Mine is painful when I stand up or lean on my stomach. My belly button has become really large and looks swollen on one side. It does tend to come and go a bit. It will be painful for a week or so and then go away for a while. When it's painful it feels quite hard around the area.