+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Adenoidectomy

I finally got the date for my DS1's long awaited adenoidectomy. He is 11yo. He has mild Asperger's, a bit of SPD (very very oversensitive to pain), and anxiety. So I am a little bit nervous about how he will go.
    He is to turn up at 11am, and will be done in the afternoon. Don't they need to fast from the night before? He'll be starving!
    His pre admission is in a couple of weeks, so I will have more answers then, but I just wanted to hear some others experiences about the procedure, about their pain levels afterwards, was it just day surgery, how quickly were they back into normal life like school, sport etc. And what do they eat and for how long?

According to a couple of friends their kids bounced back pretty much that same day, so I hope it doesn't seem like I'm worrying too much, but it's just that I know my child and I know he'll have lots of concerns coming up so I want to be able to answer his questions and reassure him.

I'd also like to hear about what was their issues with their enlarged adenoids and if these resolved after surgery?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of my daughters snored, always tired and never looked like they slept plus constant runny noses. Once they had them removed it took a few weeks but finally everything went to the way it should be. No more snoring, runny noses stopped, bags under eyes were gone and they started eating better.
    DD4 had hers removed when they did her tonsils at 12 months of age she didn't seem to have any problems with her adenoids but they said they were large so removed them.

When having just the adenoids surgery they can wake out of the anesthetic irritable but usually not in any pain. My girls were always done around 7am so needed to fast from midnight so I'd say you could do breakfast but nothing after.

Also DD3 has SPD and she has handled all her surgeries better than the other 2. She even had her tonsils out a month ago and not once cried yet that is a painful surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add besides the day of the procedure life can go back to normal the following day. Can eat everything as normal from the moment he will wake and it's only a day procedure so my girls are usually home 2-3hours after they wake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BabyG4.

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Giving this one more bump.
    Appointment has been moved forward 2.5 weeks!