+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel your pain because my first was like this and at 6 weeks I tried a bottle. Well biggest waste of time and money.
    He took it for a week but wasted more formula than he drank because he was only having small feeds.
    After a week he flat refused the bottle any more, he went berserk.

Have you tried a pacifier? I feel like you would have better luck there if it's comfort sucking?
    At this age it's very normal while horribly draining it will pass.

I'm pro bf but if the bottle is the way you want to go that's your choice, just be prepared it may not work because after 2 months of unrestricted booby she's not going to be impressed likely!

Hope you get some sleep soon, that's the really hard part 😕

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is, it's just a waiting game. I know how hard it is in the early weeks and you've had it harder than most. You have to do what works for you. I remember feeling like I'd never get past the soreness because she wasn't unattached enough for me to heal, it's awful. But it did pass. Truly. If you want to keep bf, stick it out, take breaks though and utilise hubby so you can get away. Even taking yourself out for a coffee can do wonders. A pedicure, even more so if you want to mix feed, that is possible too. It's not all or nothing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    He already does. I have a mei tai but that just means I don't have to hold her while she's attached?

It's okay, there's obviously no way to breastfeed without constant attachment. Thanks for your replies.
    Not if you start out demand feeding, it's pretty impossible to go back.
    I have friends who won't demand feed from birth.
    As for me I do, like you, to a point of ridiculous lol
    I've had two of my 5 be on the breast every hour almost around the clock for the first 6 weeks.
    You really are being the very best mum in my eyes!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-02-2014),KaraB  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 15w and only now spaces out longer than 1.5hrs. For while most nights she was doing the every half hour don't wanna eat just want to you your nipple as a dummy thing. I was beside myself too.
    It was about 12 weeks she settled down and for a week now (I hope I don't jinx it) she has been doing 6hr runs of sleep overnight.
    Wil your LO take a dummy?

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt the same at that stage. Bubs probably going through a growth spurt..it will pass. I was ready to quit but from 4 months bub was so easy..feeds quicker and less...hang in there

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was a real comfort sucker, I had low supply so was encouraged to leave her attached for as long as she wanted. She was also getting formula top ups but that only stopped her screaming from hunger after a feed, often at that age she'd attach back on after her bottle. I kept a diary trying to work out a trigger for her colic and worked out she was physically attached to my nipples at least 12 out of every 24 hours.

A ring sling helped her, she had good neck control so could safely go in the cradle hold. She looked so squished though but it took that firm support all around plus the bounce of me walking to soothe her. Her head would sit up above my breast so that took it off the menu for her.

Are you bedsharing? DD was a nightmare to bedshare with and slept to much better in her own bed. She was a summer baby too and didn't like being swaddled until about May when the weather cooled.

I totally sympathise with you though. At that age I was desperately doing anything to try to stretch her out even just an extra 15 minutes between feeds, enlisting everyone I knew to rock her, take her for a walk etc.

The only other thing that could be worth trying it getting a LC to check her attachment. She may not be able to suck efficiently. This was my DS's issue due to posterior tongue tie. He was all business about feeds once that was sorted.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    would you consider using a dummy to see if that settles her and gives you some much needed time to heal and be able to put her down for a bit? My DD2 (who was not a premmie) started to feed constantly at about 10 weeks and by 11 weeks I was going crazy. I felt like she was constantly on me and my boobs were so sore. I gave her a dummy in desperation and that helped immensely. Thankfully she decided when she was 6 months old that she didn't want the dummy anymore so there were no issues getting rid of it (unlike DD1 who had her dummy until she was 3).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd2 is 5.5 months now (4 months corrected) and she is only just realizing there are other things to do than have boobies.

For most of her first couple of months though, she fed so often as she was in pain with a cows milk intolerance (it was going thru my milk).

Sorry I don't have any advice as I also considered switching to formula to get some relief. Hell, I even tried two formula feeds once which confirmed her intolerance as she developed a nasty rash!! So back to boobies for us and I am glad I didn't give up bf her. I hope it gets easier for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I think it depends on the child...

My ds1 was always on, and he was feeding every 2 hours for up to an hour at a time. In hindsight I probably should have topped him up or just switched to FF coz the lack of sleep just caused too many issues eg partial relationship breakdown etc.. And I did this for 8 months.

Ds3 is 1 week old but he's relatively quick at his feeds. I don't know, it just seems different. And he's already happy to feed 3 hourly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor love, I have a 6day old newborn who is a comfort suckler and we introduced a dummy as I was getting so sore from it and my midwife discouraged letting him do it and recommended a dummy (weird I know!). He only gets it to drop off to sleep and usually spits it out once he nods off so he only has it for 5-10 mins if he doesn't fall asleep after a feed. I felt like a failure in the beginning for not being able to settle my baby and give him what he wants but he is very happy and that's all that matters! Do what works for you and bub