+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Probiotics for Baby

Has anyone had any experience giving probiotics to their baby? How long until you noticed a difference?

DD (Breastfed) has always been a gassy bub but I cut dairy out of my diet and saw a big difference. She was sleeping for about 4-5 hrs for her first night time sleep and then 2-3hrs then 2-3hrs sometimes fussing about 4-5am with gas giving her trouble but would poo a few hours later.

About 3wks ago she started having belly pains (waking screaming) barely sleeping for 2hrs at a time and taking really long to settle with green frothy smelly poo. I took her to the Dr, the took a sample couldn't find anything wrong. That cleared up after about a week her poo went back to mustard yellow but she is still in a lot of pain and or discomfort with her belly. I can often here is gurgling when she is squirming in discomfort and still waking every 2hrs, taking forever to settle etc. I got nipple thrush just after the green poo cleared up and I think it went through her as well, treating both of us and the thrush seems to be settled down now.

I have just bought some baby probiotics to give her thinking that whatever she had has thrown out her poor digestive system hence the thrush but I was wondering how long it might take for the probiotics to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inner hippy View Post

About 3wks ago she started having belly pains (waking screaming) barely sleeping for 2hrs at a time and taking really long to settle with green frothy smelly poo.
    I was always told green frothy poo went she is only getting the fore milk ( which would also explain why she is feeding more frequently). The fore milk has all the sugar while the hind milk has all the fat. The fat keeps them fuller for longer.
    Is she fulling draining the breast before you take her off and swap her over?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with the above. Are you still off all dairy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still off all dairy. Not a fore/hindimbalance. She only feeds one breas per feed and fully drains, plus feeds havent changed since birth except maybe one or two comfort night feeds extrs.plus they only started after the green poos when suckinv was he only thing that would comfort

The only other time she has had green poo like that is after her vaxx inc rota virus which was one of the things tested for.
    Last edited by inner hippy; 11-02-2014 at 22:27. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you try this one by any chance?
    http://www.bioceuticals.com.au/produ...abyBiotic-0yrsyrs

Thanks
    Reviews
    No they only had the inner health plus one at the health food shop. Unfortunately there isnt a great range ofboptions where I live.

Just read my OP and realised I forgot some important info. Just before her real bad tummy I did have some dairy to see if I could reintroduce it. It could have just been a coincidence tho

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub woke freauently like how u explained and always drained one breast too..but i was told to offer her the second anyway (after a burp) and surprise! She took it and started sleeping 4-6 hours again
    Sometimes when bubs have tummy pain they feed more or need to feed more to help " push through" the pain and get a poo out
    I do know of a mother who cut out dairy while bub was under six months and it helped her tremendously ! She has it now her bub is 8 months and her bub seems fine with it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by MrsHoward; 12-02-2014 at 01:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only other thing I can think of and of think of it more for an adult than a baby but green explosive poo in an adult is often a bug called clostridium difficile (of c diff as it's commonly refered to). It's a common poo bug particularly in immunosupressed people.
    Buts it's highly conagious so I would have imagined you would have got it as well from such close contact . This won't clear up on it's own though will generally need anibiotics.
    You said it was after the rotavirus vax, it is a live vaccine (increased risk of side effects with live vaccines) so maybe it was purely vaccine related?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the bioceutical brand probiotics after being recommended by a midwife when dd was 5 weeks old. Dd was breastfed but very gassy and colicky. Within 2 weeks she no longer had issues with colic, I can't say for sure if it was the probiotics or if she just grew out of it but I can't recommend them highly enough. Her poo was more normal too (she did green frothy poos).
    I had antibiotics during labour (strep b positive) so I wonder if that created an imbalance which the probiotics helped with.
    You can get that brand online from Australian vitamins (just make up a naturopaths name and number lol).

There is also the inner Heath brand which says on packaging from 3 months but the naturopath at the chemist said they were fine from birth. Good luck

Eta: I used to mix with expressed breast milk and syringe it in
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-02-2014 at 04:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you will find the green frothy poos is from the dairy I stopped all dairy but dd2 was still reacting. Then the paed told me I had to check every packet of food I ate to see if it had dairy. You will be surprised how much contains dairy. Look for the usual suspects, milk, butter, cream, yoghurt but also milk solids, whey and casin. The paed said I needed to be off dairy for 2 weeks before I noticed any difference. Lo and behold almost 2 weeks to the date and my bubs tummy troubles improved, she was less clingy. Etc. almost a completely different baby.

The other thing you may have to eliminate is soy. For some odd reason, 50% of babies that react to dairy also react to soy. I knew my dd was one of these because when I would have soy (after being dairy free for many months) her poo would be fluro green and she would vomit a lot. Soy is almost worse than dairy with how many products contain it. Luckily my dd only reacts when it's direct soy - eg soy sauce or soy kibble in bread. I can get away with soy emulsifiers and such in my spreads etc.

I think if it was a tummy bug you would see be improvement in a matter of days or a week. If no improvement then I think it might be the soy and dairy intolerance.