+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Crop-tops/bralettes for little girls...

So, every now and then on here people get up-in-arms that these things exist.

Today though, they're so hard to get! I was in a very large Westfield shopping centre and went in 6 different stores looking for some in size 8-10 (girls, not ladies). I know they exist in smaller sizes, but far out they're rare. Just finding a size 8-10 was a HUUUUUGE ordeal, and I found ONE option (Bonds, in pink and white only) in all of the shops I searched in.

DD is 8.5, and has 2 breast buds. The pressure that the these little crop tops offer helps ease the discomfort... but I kept thinking about DP's niece, who is the same age... but a size 5-6 (she's much smaller and shorter than DD). What if SHE was going through this right now like DD? Fat chance she'd find anything if I could barely find size 8-10.

So... this is my little comment on perhaps WHY these things exist. It's not necessarily parents sexualising their daughters or any such thing... it could very well be that girls are developing and wearing a little crop top makes that process more comfortable. She's also big for her age... a smaller child might have much more difficulty getting that same level of comfort.

I needed to soapbox this.

Also... if anyone knows where I can find some good crop tops in size 8-10 please let me know! I don't want to spend a fortune, and I was a bit miffed I had to spend $10 per crop top!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-02-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow, I had no idea that they were so hard to come by these days. I remember wearing them as a little girl- I always considered them training bras, to help girls get used to wearing a real bra. Is that not a fact of life? I don't agree with the.s3xualisation side of the argument either. By that token are short skirts and play make-up taboo as well?

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only place I've seen them is Target. I think they were Bonds and the smallest size was 8-10 (Probably the same ones you saw).

Thinking back...I remember there was quite a decent range back in the 90s and all of my friends and I wore crop tops in Primary school. It's a shame there's so much fuss about it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw heaps in the bigW near me last week when i was buying DD1 knickers for school cause she was asking for one but she thought it was a bikini top and was devo the smallest she could find was an 8-10

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My little girl is 11 next month and already a 14C and has been 6 months now.

I found those Ahh Bras where great while she was developing buds but now have the trouble of finding non sexy bras in her size.

Big W has a great range of bras that are nice and basic and also cheap. I copped many comments at first but now it's the opposite of people in disbelief she is a 14C at 10.

And yes I agree, they are not just to sexualise children, some, believe it or not develop a lot quicker than others (she also has underarm hairs and full pubic hair, just waiting for periods to start).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, I second Big W. I buy plain white ones in packs of 2 for about $7.

Best & Less sell them as well, saw some last week.

ETA

http://www.bigw.com.au/baby-kids/kid...ite-sizes-8-16
    Last edited by tootiredtosleep; 11-02-2014 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right about the sizes- Best and Less have a policy not to sell them in sizes smaller than an 8. I guess all the stores are probably the same.

Best & Less assured us that they have a policy to not sell bra-like products for children under the age of eight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually think that it's the opposite of sexualising a girl. My niece gas Breast buds and I think it's noticeable when she doesn't wear a crop top. It's not at all noticeable with a crop top and it protects her from the prying eyes of pubescent boys or anyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have the same problem with my 8.5 yr old dd, but when i went looking, next to the crop top type ones were padded bras.. i was appalled.

But i very much agree that some girls at this age need something, i look at photos of me at this age, and wish my mum had of done something to help, but i believe she thought i was to young to start puberty. She got a huge shock when hair and periods started when i was 10, so I am also very worried my daughter may follow to develop at such a young age but plan to be more supportive for my dd.

i found kmart to be the cheapest..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 11 year old DD wears the crop tops, I have had no trouble buying them from Big W or Target. I have told DD she should wear them every day as she has breast buds forming at a rapid rate, I'd say I'll need to buy her bras by the end of the year