+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 wks and told for the 2nd time I'm measuring earlier...worried somethings not right.

I'm so confused and things don't add up. I went for a dating scan when I thought I was about 6 wks 4 days and there was only a gestational sac and was told that I only measured 5 wks 2 days. I went to see my obgyn today at 8 wks and the scan only showed a yolk sac and rod with a bit of flutter and she said I look more like 6 wks. I am waiting on blood results tomorrow. The thing is, I just don't feel it's right and it doesn't make sense because I got a positive pregnancy test way back on 6th January and prior to discovering I was UTD we last DTD 26th December, so to me, the latest date we could have conceived was 31st Dec which lines up with me being 8 weeks (not 6 as the scan showed) I'm starting to worry that the baby isn't growing and there's something wrong because it couldn't possibly be 6 weeks.
    Has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought I was a few weeks ahead with my 3rd child, but my periods had been really strange with lots of spotting.
    I only saw a sac at 5wk 3d with her, went back two weeks later and there she was with a hb of 145. So I reassessed my cycle, I'd been keeping a journal and realised the spotting I had for 8 days mid cycle was actually a period and I ovulated after it. Weirdest thing ever and to this day 8 years later I've never had another cycle like it. It actually confused me for years as I ttc my other kids.

If you are absolutely certain of your dates and there was no spotting etc that could have meant late ovulation then it is a bit concerning 😕
    Sadly it does happen that the baby is trying to grow but just doesn't make it.

I hope that's not the case for you. I guess you just have to get bloods and scans done to keep checking.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

avenew05  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I meant to add that early scans can be out by up to a week, at a pretty crucial time. They may not have been able to see properly if the machine wasn't really good or if things weren't in an optimal spot.
    It's just a waiting game and it sucks. There's still hope though! Heaps of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Oh I meant to add that early scans can be out by up to a week, at a pretty crucial time. They may not have been able to see properly if the machine wasn't really good or if things weren't in an optimal spot.
    It's just a waiting game and it sucks. There's still hope though! Heaps of luck!
    Thanks for your response. The thing is, I was not long off Mirena and fell pregnant within 1.5 months after having it removed so I didn't really know my cycle and therefore can't pinpoint the first day of AF...but that still doesn't matter if I ovulated late which is apparently something that can happen soon after coming off the Mirena

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your response. The thing is, I was not long off Mirena and fell pregnant within 1.5 months after having it removed so I didn't really know my cycle and therefore can't pinpoint the first day of AF...but that still doesn't matter if I ovulated late which is apparently something that can happen soon after coming off the Mirena. It's a waiting game unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh that could really mess with your cycle.
    I guess if you know the date you dtd there's no arguing with that, like if that was the last time before testing, that's a definite.
    Hoping for you the scans are just out. I've read of that happening a lot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

avenew05  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With a couple of our pregnancies I measured behind where I should have due to my body rejecting the baby and stopping it from implanting properly due to having +ANA.
    There are probably many other reasons why your bubs is on the smaller side including an odd cycle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

avenew05  (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my blood test results today and from what I understand, the levels are ok - 88,000 hcg and progesterone 51. I have to get another blood test tomorrow to see if these levels are going up or down. I'm certain I'm 8 weeks along and can't possibly be 6 weeks, so perhaps my baby is a slow grower? Perhaps he/she will catch uo. Is that possible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When will you get another scan? The levels sound good. Maybe the baby wasn't in a good spot? Do you have a tipped uterus? Was the scan internal or external?
    Seems like a bad ultrasound view is the only way to explain it. If the tech isnt careful it's really easy to be out just a tiny bit and that's all that matters at such an early stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When will you get another scan? The levels sound good. Maybe the baby wasn't in a good spot? Do you have a tipped uterus? Was the scan internal or external?
    Seems like a bad ultrasound view is the only way to explain it. If the tech isnt careful it's really easy to be out just a tiny bit and that's all that matters at such an early stage.
    I guess they'll wait to see the next blood test results and I'll go into see my obstetrician again and she'll do another scan. It was a transvaginal scan done by my obstetrician and the yolk sac and fetal pole were pretty clear but the problem is that the baby should be a bit more developed than that. I should be 8 weeks and really cannot be anything less.