+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I being selfish regarding DS 2nd Birthday?

I am feeling so conflicted on what to do for DS's Birthday this month. He's only turning 2, last year we just had a small gathering with just his grandparents, but that event was more about all the adults sitting around talking while I ran around looking after DS. I don't have a great relationship with my Inlaws, and MIL suffers a bad case of "I will never accept you because you are the 'other' woman and my son belongs to me!!!" syndrome, so without boring you with details - I just don't think I want DS's birthday to be spent with MIL's anxiety and nasty underhanded jabs all day. But DH thinks its an occasion where all the grandparents should get together... but doesn't that mean its more about them than DS?

I honestly feel like just taking DS out for the day ... somewhere he'd like, like the beach, or the zoo.... and we go to a nice cafe and eat yummy cake..... just something fun, low key and for "him"

DH is worried the inlaws will be annoyed I haven't organised something of which will include them, but I am also not including my parents either.... I just want it to be about our little family this time. DS goes to child care, but we are quite new at this new facility so I haven't actually met any of the parents to his little friends there yet to invite them over for a play.

DS absolutely loves outings.... he loves going to new places. He is always home, and see's his grandparents all the time.

I was just thinking when DH takes DS over to the inlaws for a visit they can have their own little celebration with him. But i feel selfish for wanting DS's birthday all to ourselves so we can do what we want and go out for the day. There is no way the grandparents will be keen on going out somewhere, if they're involved they will want it to be very low key. It was fine for DS's 1st B'day party, but he's a adventurous toddler now.

What did others here do for their toddlers 2nd B'day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby doesn't think our kids should have a party every year, so maybe you could put it up as this sort of situation. We ended up having a small party, but after inviting grandparents and Aunty/uncles we already have 16 people and there wasn't any kids for her to play with so we also invited our closest friends and mothers group along.

I think what you've got in mind sounds lovely, we still had the grandparents want to drop in on her birthday so be prepared for some sort of celebration still but it doesn't have to be around a meal or require any special planning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah well if they say they'd like to drop in to see him in the arvo after his nap, then that's fine i guess. We can still do our thing in the morning, and then they can come later on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The zoo and cake sounds like a great idea

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome to my life!

I swear we have the same story...

Take him out, who cares for anyone else.
    It's only a 2nd bday, your Ds won't even remember it.

We did the same for our ds's bday for the exact same reasons.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol what a great Idea to get rid of the inlaws! Going to the zoo or something is a perfect excuse not to have them over if you don't want them there and I think ill use it myself!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rtaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Urgh, your mil sounds like a real charmer, that must be so frustrating!!

I say go for it, an outing sounds like fun, and something special for him, where as like you said, a little get together would just be like any other day to him, id just organise it, and when they ask what is happening for his birthday, just say "we're having a little outing in the morning, then after his nap he can have some visits if you like" just keep the conversation really casual, hopefully it works out.

Gosh, I tell you, at 38 weeks, im getting more nervous about the family politics than the birth!! :what:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they want a party, why do t they throw one for him? My DD is also turning 2, we are going to make memories, no way I'm sitting around making small talk with in laws!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (11-02-2014),Serenity Love  (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go out and be a little family on his actual birthday. Zoo and cake sounds awesome have a 'party' with the in laws another day, at their house, so you can leave when you want! Hehe

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CatesBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why can't you do both? Have a fun family outing on his birthday then have the grandparents over for a low key morning or afternoon tea on another day for them to mark the occasion.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post: