+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying to quit smoking when pregnant?

Firstly I'd like to ask for no judgement and no lectures on how bad smoking is when pregnant or in general because that is all stuff that I know.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else pregnant and stuggling to quit smoking?

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I got my bfp last week. With my first I quit cold turkey and stupidly started up again when dd was about 6 months old. Second pregnacy again I quit cold turkey the day I found out and promised myself I wouldnt start again. Unfortunatly we lost her at 21 weeks and although I tried not to I was feeling pretty depressed and stressed which led me to once again take it up.

Now here I am trying desperatly to quit once and for all. No going back this time but Im finding it a lot harder to quit. I know it should be easier after losing a baby I want to do everything I can to reduce any risks but it is hard. Ive cut down a lot I was probably like a 10+ a day smoker, yesterday I only had 1 all day, but today has ben a bit worse I've had 4. Im hoping to be down to zero by the end of this week.

Anyone going through or been through this at all??

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No advice or experience, just wanted to wish you luck. I have heard that when pregnant you should taper off rather than cold turkey, but tbh I don't even know if that was a very reputable source.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you try some goal setting visually. Like getting a calendar and write on it how many you are allowed each day (taper down to zero and then stay at zero), mark off each day you succeed and plan a reward at the end of each successful week (whatever floats your boat, facial/new book etc)
    Maybe a call to the quitline a couple of times a week will help you stay motivated/stay on track and give you a few other tips.
    Also work out your triggers and try to avoid them (alcohol etc) best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure, but have you spoken to your Dr?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well done on cutting down like you have done. I don't have any personal experience with smoking but my mum smoked like a chimney. She tried to give up a few times but failed . One time she had given up for a few months and this douche friend of the family lit up and blew smoke in her face. It was all over red rover.

I suppose my point is surround yourself with people that support you giving up. Avoid the negative nannies and people who will light up around you without thinking.

Best of luck...

Thanks
    Reviews
    A plan is really really important.

Remember that once the really hard days are over, it gets easier, and the only rule is don't pick it up again.

Support is important.

Find something to do when you have a craving. Chew a toothpick; drink a glass of water.

A hypnotist told my husband that something he always infers to his clients while under, is to acknowledge your craving. This was something which REALLY helped me and my husband. Say, "I'm having a craving now", then put that thought away. Trying to ignore the craving is half the problem. It snowballs until the desire is unbearable.

We have both been smoke free for 5 years now. I do not miss it. I am honestly healthier than before. I have more energy.
    It must be tough having a newborn and smoking. Putting the baby down, off for a smoke, wash hands etc etc. what a hassle.

Good luck. It is tough. But you know that.
    When I have cravings, which are few and far between, the knowledge of how tough it is to stop is what stops me taking it up again.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I totally agree re acknowledging the craving. And then, remember that the craving passes in five minutes. I used to set a timer or listen to a song. When you get through the first three days it's so much easier.

Also, changing up your routine helps. For example I used to like a coke/coffee and a cig first thing on waking up. So even now if I have one of those drinks first thing, I will crave a cig. So now I have a shower or brekky first so I've broken that habit somewhat.

Most importantly, though, every day is a fresh start. If you do cave one day, it's not an excuse to go out and buy a carton. Pick yourself up and start again.

Good luck, and a doctor may be able to help. You can do it!

Oh,,and congratulations!
    Last edited by harvs; 10-02-2014 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    melimum - I'm pregnant & trying to quit as well

I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my first and was always of the opinion that I'd quit cold turkey if I ever found out I was pregnant. Unfortunately I haven't managed to do it yet.

I work from home, which makes it hard. I think I would have found it easier if I was still working in an office. As other have said, it has a lot to do with breaking habits, and distracting yourself. I just need more distractions I think!

I used to smoke 10+ a day, and now I'd be down to 5 on a bad day. I feel incredibly guilty. Do any of your friends / family know that you are pregnant yet? I keep getting the following 'helpful' comments from people:

"I smoked through all of my pregnancies and my kids are fine"
    "You're doing better than I ever did, I never quit"
    "If you smoke, your baby is only going to be smaller. That is a good thing given you are so small"
    "Do you want a smoke?"

Even my gp congratulated me when he heard that i had cut down to only a few a day.

ARGH! I don't really want people to nag me about smoking, but a little bit of encouragement wouldn't go astray!

Congrats on the pregnancy & good luck. We CAN do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all the tips!! I've set myself daily goals to get to zero by Sunday. And I think I can do it because I'm nearly out so I'm just not going to buy anymore. Im going to try and replace it with lollipops for now, crave a smoke have a lollipop. Probably not the healthiest but gotta be better then a ciggie.

Good luck country.... I get those comments as well. Luckily I only have a handful of friends who smoke and my closest friend is gonna try to quit with me. I know we can do it!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave myself a couple of weeks to eat whatever I felt like when I quit. Don't deprive yourself of something which will stop you from smoking in those first few weeks.

Good luck.