+ Reply to Thread
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default DS finds noise distressing at childcare

As stated, DS has settled in really well to childcare, except that all his carers have commented on his reaction when there are a lot of babies making noise in the under 2 room. At the start they've had to take him outside away from the noise, and apparently today they looked over at a noisy part of the day and he had his fingers in his ears! He's not really around noise very much anywhere else. He loves music but if a couple of people laugh and happen to be looking at him he gets very upset. Also, he cries around a couple of friends of mine with loud voices or when lots of people are talking or laughing at once.

As a teacher this raises flags for me, as the only children I've known with such noise aversion have been on the spectrum, however DS is far too social and affectionate to be on there IMO. Just wondering if this is common, or if it's a sign of some other sensory issue. Also, is there anything I can do to help him adjust, or is he likely to grow out of it? Just wondering if I should be worried at all. TIA...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe a sensory processing disorder? My DD is not on the spectrum, like you said, far from it with regards to social/communication etc. However she does have a sensory processing disorder relating to tactile stimulus (clothes, shoes, hairstyles, touch etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is he? He could just be going through a stage and if he's not used to lots of noise, ie if he's an only child and you and your partner aren't loud talkers etc, then it's pretty normal I would think?
    I put my third into day care about 2.5 yrs old, a bit earlier than her sister. I ended up taking her out for this reason exactly because it really was very noisy and distressing.
    She's turned out to have anxiety but I don't know that it's related to that.
    My two year old son is pretty sensitive, he asks about noises he hears and trail bikes in the neighbourhood frighten him. I think it's just a phase for him though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Thanks for your responses. He's 16 months soon, so still pretty little. I guess I worry a lot about anxiety cos it does seek to run in the family.

Do you know if there's some sort of checklist anywhere on line where I can learn about sensory processing disorder?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like my son. Google "highly sensitive child". We persisted with child care and he got a lot better. He still doesn't like loud noises etc but isn't distressed by them like he used to be. He definitely became a lot more accustomed to noises after a few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aw yeh he's probably just taking a while to adjust, he's only a baby yet.
    With spd he would have a few other sensitivities like clothing and hair washing etc. Google will give you a check list for spd but I think you would know it if he did?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is the centre itself large and too noisy/too many kids? Could you try a smaller place? Sometimes when I've dropped DS off its been so noisy, usually just before 9 when they have the babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers all in together (they go to their separate rooms at 9am for morning tea). I hate noise myself! I don't see he has a problem or disorder simply because he dislikes noise! Maybe if he screamed and cried yes, but not simply an aversion to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    Sounds like my son. Google "highly sensitive child". We persisted with child care and he got a lot better. He still doesn't like loud noises etc but isn't distressed by them like he used to be. He definitely became a lot more accustomed to noises after a few months.
    I came in to say exactly this!
    Theres a really good book called "the highly sensitive child" which may fit with what you are saying.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son seems a little sensitive to noise, but he seems to comment on it now rather than being frightened (he's 3 next month). He'll say "ohhh too loud" and put his fingers in his ears but if I smile reassuringly and say "yes the .... Is loud, it's ok" he smiles back and is ok with it. I was a little worried but I spoke to my mum about it and she said I was the kind of child who was frightened very easily, hated loud noises, and a balloon popping was disastrous! So I think temperament comes into it too...

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Is the centre itself large and too noisy/too many kids? Could you try a smaller place? Sometimes when I've dropped DS off its been so noisy, usually just before 9 when they have the babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers all in together (they go to their separate rooms at 9am for morning tea). I hate noise myself! I don't see he has a problem or disorder simply because he dislikes noise! Maybe if he screamed and cried yes, but not simply an aversion to it.
    That's the thing - it's a small country childcare so when it's 'full' there are only 12 babies/toddlers, although I do acknowledge that 12 little ones crying would be loud enough!

I agree with you that he doesn't necessarily have a disorder or problem, just in my line of work it's associated with further disorders which is why I was asking for further advice. Also, the fact that every carer has actually gone out of her way to bring it up or note it in his book makes me think it's not very common. He does scream and cry - it's the only time really that he does get upset at cc. Sometimes it can be just from someone shutting the gate loudly, so it seems to be sudden noises as well as loud noises.

Thanks everyone for your responses, and is will definitely look into that book :-)