+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What can I take on the plane food wise?

I am wondering what food I can take on the plane from Aus to NZ and what I may or may not have to ditch upon arrival.
    I will be travelling with 2 toddlers so I am wanting to keep them as occupied as possible ;-)

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you mean on the actual plane in carry on luggage or in checked luggage.

I'm about 99% sure you can't take any food on the plane with you on carry on luggage. (Well I've always had to remove my food to get through security X-rays etc)

Checked luggage most packaged food is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    To eat on the plane you can take almost anything. Drinks wise though they will let you buy them after you go through customs and take them on or I'm not sure of the rules but they may also let you bring your own if they are unopened. I would check about the drinks though, they def don't let you take your own through if they are opened however. When you arrive they may make you ditch some things, others they don't care about. I've never taken anything they made me throw out. You can look up the airlines policies on the net or call them if you are unsure still and need more assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you don't have anything that is over 100ml. We travelled overseas recently and they took our hommus dip at security!

The sliced carrots, celery, cheese, dry bickies and blueberries made it safely onto the plane. lol! My sister and I are both pregnant so we would have almost started a riot had they taken everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    On international flights all liquids, aerosols and gels are subject to a limit of 100ml each and must be stored in a clear ziplock bag for inspection at security.
    Any food is permissible, however if you plan on taking it into nz you must declare it.

If you have baby formula or similar it is exempt from the 100ml limit but you will need to let
    Customs and security know so they can scan them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I have looked at the policies etc so understand about the liquids and such but was not sure if there were any major no nos. If I need to declare does it take ages or is it easier to just toss anything they dont eat?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Declaration between two countries is fairly easy ( I've actually found I get through quicker when i declare )
    Meat fruit and honey are no nos
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx

But if your kids eat it on the plane then dump the rest in the bins at arrival

Thanks
    Reviews
    it was easy to get packaged food (still sealed) through NZ customs. i didn't try any open packets but would probably just throw them at the airport.

small packets would probably keep little people more interested, maybe take a container they can empty food in to make it easier to get.

popcorn (maybe too messy depending on your kids), dried fruit, dry bikkies, muesli bars, sucky yogurts (mess?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can take anything on plane but must bin certain things once you've landed . I took tubes of food for my monster and lots of formula made up. They were fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do you guys get food on the plane!? I travel back and forth several times a year and only ever take carry on luggage and I've always been told to get rid of it before going through security!