+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No worries I'm happy to help. I enter all the invoices from our technicians, send out monthly invoices to our clients, enter remittances and purchases. Do monthly bank reconciliations, send reports to the accountant ( sounds fancier than it really is, it's a 2 second job on myob). Chase up non paying clients, um what else.... Pay our employees, do superannuation... I pay all the bills but I doubt someone else will give you their bank details to do that for them.
    I old bookkeeper I think charged us $30 or $40 an hour ( she was overpriced which is why we got rid of her) but I don't get paid so I'm not much help to you there.
    I'm happy to answer any more questions you have if I can help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by looloo711 View Post
    Subbing - I'm currently studying Diploma of Accounting through OTEN. Interesting to read you have do to work experience.
    How do you find the course through OTEN? Is it easy to follow? What kinds of assessments do you need to do? Do you need to find a supervisor to sit exams?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks bubbles k. So for your old book keeper did she work from home or her own office and you contracted to her? Did you send through all your stuff to her weekly or regularly and she would process it all and then send back to you? Just trying to get my head around how this would work

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Book keeping

I just finished the Cert IV in Bookkeeping through OTEN by correspondence. In order to be qualified to charge for completing a BAS service for clients you need to be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board, have completed at minimum the Cert IV in Bookkeeping and have had either 1,400 hours of relevant experience or if you are already a voting member of a recognised professionals association you need only 1,000 hours.

If you are only wanting to do the bookkeeping work but not the BAS, the minimum hours do not apply, and if you are a direct employee of the company (rather than a contracted bookkeeper) I think you can do the BAS as well.

I have been doing pretty much the same as BubblesK for the past few years also. It's pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    How do you find the course through OTEN? Is it easy to follow? What kinds of assessments do you need to do? Do you need to find a supervisor to sit exams?

I would never, ever do another course through OTEN. I found their course material severely lacking, mistakes are riddled throughout their books and materials and if you need help with an assignment 9 times out of 10 I was told "we can't help you with specific assignment questions".

The assignments for the most part aren't that bad, except when you get things that aren't explained very well.

You do need to sit the exams with a supervisor, although I think they have now organised that it can be done one Saturday per month (I think) at set venues in certain areas.

Edited to fix a typo
    Last edited by happygrl; 13-02-2014 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy12 View Post
    Thanks bubbles k. So for your old book keeper did she work from home or her own office and you contracted to her? Did you send through all your stuff to her weekly or regularly and she would process it all and then send back to you? Just trying to get my head around how this would work
    Initially she would come to our home office but later she moved up to Newcastle so we used to post everything (invoices, remittance, bank statements) up to her. That's when she put her prices up to $40 and seemed to be doing far more hours than when she came to ours so we had to let her go.
    I also started a correspondence course but found it easier to do the community college one with the teacher there to ask questions of and help find errors when they occurred.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post

I would never, ever do another course through OTEN. I found their course material severely lacking, mistakes are riddled throughout their books and materials and if you need help with an assignment 9 times out of 10 I was told "we can't help you with specific assignment questions".

The assignments for the most part aren't that bad, except when you get things that aren't explained very well.

You do need to sit the exams with a supervisor, although I think they have now organised that it can be done one Saturday per month (I think) at set venues in certain areas.
    That's a shame but basically what I was expecting. . I've done a couple of cert.3's through them and didn't have too many problems. They can take an awfully long time to mark assignments and release new modules though.
    I'm enrolled in a diploma of business with them atm and have noticed massive inconsistencies with the way the course is delivered compared to actually going to TAFE.

I have a cert. 4 in accounting and was planning on continuing on at uni this year but there isn't a great deal of flexibility with timetable options, so was considering doing the diploma of accounting through OTEN. I think you have definitely turned me off doing so though. They seem to have a lot of unhappy current and past students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine did the cert iv through cengage and their material looked much better. I think she actually learned more than I did because the material and assignments were more real-life examples of stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I forgot about cengage ta!