+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Meredithgray - I wish that was standard protocol across all hospitals (to offer counselling etc). I was offered nothing of the sort. I haemorrhaged, had pneumonia, and my daughter spent 10 days in special care but there was never any offer of any emotional help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was completely unprepared for an emergency CS. My mum had 5 bubs all natural and drug free and I assumed mine would be the same. Unfortunately at 37 weeks I was diagnosed with PE and admitted for monitoring. Bub went into distress at 37+6 and I was prepped for inducing. They broke my water at 38 weeks and after 5 mins on the drip bubs HB was plummeting so they rushed me to theatre. We had foetal maternal haemorrhaging and placenta was completely disintegrated. Bub spent a week in NICU for various transfusions. I found the whole thing very difficult to come to terms with. Pretty much everything I had on my birth plan didn't happen. Especially when bub then couldn't BF. Luckily we managed to eventually get bub BFing as to me it was the only thing left I had planned for so it was something for me to cling on to. I've come to terms with it now. I am still disappointed that I never got to experience labour and I'm too scared for VBAC so I'll never get a chance to experience it now. I think that's the thing I find the hardest. I do feel like my body failed me at times but I'm also cross at the hospital, the distress was caused due to the haemorrhaging and I had this show up on some blood tests at 32 weeks before going back to normal. I keep wondering if they had just tested again when they admitted me at 37 weeks would I have been able to have an induced vaginal birth a that point but they never did retest. If I hadn't had the emergency csec then my bub would've died. That helps me come to terms with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My c section for my first baby was due to the cascade of intervention you hear about. Baby was 16 days overdue, I had finally consented to induction after abandoning my natural labour plans. Waters broke naturally at home during the night before I was due to go in for induction. I went in, they agreed we'd wait to see if labour started on its own so I went home. Next day, still no contractions. I gave in and was put on a drip to be induced 36 hrs after waters broke. It didn't work!!! Even on highest dose. I had tightenings but nothing productive and no pain. Only got to 3cm after 15 hrs on it. Finally they talked about c section. I was so tired, waters been broken so long there was all this talk of infection risk. I consented and he was born 18 days overdue. It was awful, I felt so ill. But he was perfect. I was extremely disappointed with my birth. My body just wasn't really ready despite being overdue. I just gestate longer. My second baby was born 12 days overdue, vbac this time.
    Last edited by Bond Girl; 21-06-2014 at 22:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was another 'cascade' em/cs.. I was induced after a hind water leak, spot on 40wks despite them knowing DS was in a bad position - posterior - (they didn't tell me at the time, or suggest anything I could do to help him move!)
    I was hammered all day by the drip, 27 hours all up.

He got stuck and I stopped dialating so they called for theatre. He wasn't distressed, nor was I, but it was called to 'free' him from my pelvis.

DD was born at 42+3 (they had their dates wrong ) after SROM at home - I was given the drip about 14hrs later to speed me along *it was brutal* she was vbac about 7hrs later. No tears, damage etc.. She was posterior like DS was, right up to transition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really feel for you. I too had a large LO and ended up in OR with forceps ripping him out and tearing me from ******* to breakfast whilst crushing my tail bone. It was not until 3.5 years later when I was at antenatal appointment with my 2nd pregnancy that nurse flipped though my notes and informed me that baby had Shoulder Dystocia. All that time i thought i was just a **** woman who could not push her baby out properly. They should tell us women on the spot not treat us like dumb animals who dont need to know the specifics.