+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New "Older" Mum to Be from Perth

Hi Everyone, I'm new to Bub Hub and expecting my 1st in mid-Sept. Currently going into week 9. I'd love to hear from any first time "older" mums - I'll be 39 1/2 when bub is born (eek!). Would really like to hear about your experiences and any advice would be great. But one thing I'm finding that's stressing me out the most right now is all of the conflicting advice I'm receiving about what I can / can't, should / shouldn't use ie: over the counter medications, skin care etc. It's driving me crazy!! What a pharmacist says is a no-no, my Ob says is ok!! Some articles I've read have made me feel so anxious and guilty and I was starting to think that I've done something awful and I'm going to end up with a baby with horrible deformities. I was at the point last night where I thought "Ok, time to just switch-off and use my own common sense".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi MummaCat

Welcome to the hub! I'm from Perth and have one child (a September baby - he's 2.5yrs now) - I'm in my mid 30's..

It's certainly confusing with all the different information around..there's almost too much info if that's possible!

There's heaps of info on different threads here - I found reading others experiences quite helpful, and although I would take some advice with a grain of salt, there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Wish you all the best :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mumma Cat
    I'm 34 and 4 weeks pregnant with my first!! So VERY excited. My husband is almost 39 and most of our friends already have children. We are from Mareeba - west of Cairns Qld.

I truly think using your common sense is the best option!! I mean, my mother had 4 very healthy children when it wasn't taboo to eat soft cheeses!! Of course there are some pieces of advice that you take on board - but trust yourself! I personally believe that stressing about it all will be worse for the baby than sneaking the odd piece of camembert!

I'm actually not sure on where I go from here! Do I go see my GP? I'd rather go straight to my ob/gyn whom I saw prior to TTC. But is 4 weeks too early? I guess I'll just call her.

Best of luck and don't stress about your age!! My step mum had a gorgeous healthy baby boy at 45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi!
    I am an older mum in perth too! Are you NOR or SOR?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say hi! I live SOR. Im not an 'older mum', I'm only 22 and I have a 7 month old but I like making new friends. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm going to be 36 when my first is born in mid September too. It is all very daunting!

I like the theory of doing the best I can to follow the advice, with common sense, and trying not to stress too much.

I'm in Perth, SOR, but only just

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

I'm an 'older Mum' too - 40 years old - aargh! I have a 3 year old and a 22 month old and we've just found out we're expecting number 3 in October :-)

It is very confusing at first - there are differing opinions, advice and directions everywhere! Just follow your Ob's advice (love my Ob!) and trust your instincts :-)

Where are you having bub?