+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry which part? Again it was reference to my sil who knows darn well what to do to get what she wants, she is in full control over what's she's doing and how's she's acting. Completely different to knowing you're not right but not being able to control. After the birth of my daughter I knew I wasn't right but didn't have control over my pnd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I am seeing more and more people being diagnosed with some label then using that as an excuse for poor behaviour ( if you know it's poor behaviour then it's not the disorder ).
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who is seeing this
    This part.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    There is a difference between venting about one situation to the second paragraph of the OP. I cant seem to quote it but that is the part I found offensive.

Do people with depression know that being so tired they lay in bed all day isnt right? Of course the majority of them do. Does this mean its jot the depression and just laziness? Of course not.

I suffered from PND after the birth of my older 2 boys. I was conviced that something was going to happen to take my DS2 away from me. Utterly petrified to the point where I didnt let anyone, even DH, hold him. Did I know I was being illogical and it was the PND and anxiety? Of course I did. That didnt make the extreme fear any less debilitating.

Ok well I didnt agree with everything the op said.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As I said before. It doesn't hit a nerve. I just think it is amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    It was just an example, I do know my family ( been with DH for over 10 years, seen this girl grow up). So in this case I believe I do know this girl and know she's being labelled. im sorry if my post hit a nerve.
    I am an advocate for breaking the stigma and open discussions on the matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Of course they do. But not the majority of the time. Usually, regardless of where you are seen in Australia, Doctors and psychiatrist are reluctant to label people unless they are very sure about it. The OP was implying that labels are just willy nilly put on people all the time and that is just not the case. She may know her SIL, but I assume her level of understanding of Mental Illness is not on par with a psychiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Come on. The op wasnt saying shes a dr or scientist she was just expressing concern over a family situation that she knows alot about.

Are u saying misdiagnosis doesnt ever happen?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm, yes - I don't get this line of thinking at all. If someone knows it is wrong, is it then not a disorder according to OP or not a disorder according to Mental health professionals and advocates. I have a friend who committed suicide after many attempts - did she know it was wrong. Hell yes. Was it a mental health disorder, hell yes. It sure was.

I don't find it offensive though Peanut Monkey, the reason I don't is because the comments are meaningless, they have no basis, no fact, no truth - so there is no reason to be upset by them. x

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    This part.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Hmmm, yes - I don't get this line of thinking at all. If someone knows it is wrong, is it then not a disorder according to OP or not a disorder according to Mental health professionals and advocates. I have a friend who committed suicide after many attempts - did she know it was wrong. Hell yes. Was it a mental health disorder, hell yes. It sure was.

I don't find it offensive though Peanut Monkey, the reason I don't is because the comments are meaningless, they have no basis, no fact, no truth - so there is no reason to be upset by them. x
    I am a wee bit sensitive on the matter after having a family member recently cease contact with us over my sons SPD saying that there is nothing wrong with him and I just want to put a label on him which is just not the case at all. It hits a very raw nerve for me.

Last edited by peanutmonkey; 10-02-2014 at 16:13.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't hit a nerve with me neither..
    I just disagree and am engaging in debate.
    I think that even those closest to someone may not fully understand the depths of an illness or disorder. If your niece and her mother are happy with the diagnosis and it helps them by labelling it and putting it out there in public to be scrutinised then kudos to them. Pretty brave IMO. Like beebs I find it a little strange that people think they know more then mental health professionals. And peanutmonkey I loved your saying "with mental illness I've learnt either be supportive or shut up" lol That should be a bumper sticker....
    Seriously though... It's hard to get tone from the internet but I'm enjoying the debate and not in the slightest upset or offended. I simply disagree

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (10-02-2014),beebs  (10-02-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the written word is hard to interpret tone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I see what op is saying, I'm not sure where it started but there's seems to be a general idea lately that getting diagnosed with any sort of disorder is easily done. I suspect it's probably social media.

I've skimmed through the posts a little. Sometimes teens do have a hard time adjusting to turning into an adult. It could be that, and she's acting out.
    But in any case it's good that her mother is taking notice. My SIL went undiagnosed with bi polar for many years and during that time, ruined her health completely (as an insulin dependent diabetic she is now blind and needs a double organ transplant).
    I think the parents in law just thought she was difficult and definitely didn't step in soon enough to try get her help, very sad.

The proof will come in a year or so as your SIL gets older, but at least someone is watching out for her.

And don't believe that people are over diagnosed or whatever. I think for so many years people went undiagnosed, like thousands, self included as a highly anxious child I think meds would have helped me a lot.
    If it takes labels to get help, by all means label away.

(I have two autistic sons and a daughter on meds for anxiety)