+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Cut a long story short my mil has had "issues" with my teenage sil. To me her behaviour is a combination of typical teenage hormonal moods, spoilt brat syndrome ( finished school, doesn't work, can't get CL, mil says to get a job ,sil knows she just has to ask for stuff and gets it so doesn't bother working) and the fact mil never properly dealt with sil feelings and emotions after splitting up with her dad ( not DH dad) and getting pregnant and moving in with another man ( yes 3 kids 3 different dads).
    Anyway apparently sil was diagnosed ( at an expensive "clinic" which gets paid per day not one fee sort of deal) with a "mood" disorder so rather than deal with real issues mil is now blaming ( and using it) as an excuse for sil behaviour.

I'm not doubting mental health issues I have suffered anxiety and mild pnd so I know they're real but I did see a quote on FB that drug companies don't make money from you being well. Thanks for letting me vent
    I am seeing more and more people being diagnosed with some label then using that as an excuse for poor behaviour ( if you know it's poor behaviour then it's not the disorder ).
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who is seeing this
    I can understand where your coming from. Her issues are the result of what's happened in her life rather than a mental condition possibly. I agree she needs to deal with real issues or at least attempt to before being branded with a mental condition but she will only be able to do that with the right guidance which is the difficult part as it doesn't sound like she is getting that from her mother.

I view what your saying in the same way I view kids being so quickly prescribed ADHD medication, I believe a lot of cases (not all) do not have this disorder. Behavioural issues are caused a lot by the way kids are brought up and this should be worked on first rather than giving children medication.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of approaching treatment for this kind of thing, I think the research tends to suggest that a combination of both pharmacological and behavioural intervention works best. This means that there are both issues going on hormonal or neurochemically as well as them being behavioural.

Interestingly, I have just started reading about the effect of copper/zinc imbalance which causes a whole range of psychological and behavioural issues (too much copper and too little zinc). This happens particularly so during adolescence and post partum due to the changes in oestrogen levels. It's not usually picked up in main****** psychiatry but there are a few doctors out there recognising it now and it can actually be treated with nutritional supplements.

(BTW, I'm a registered and practicing psychologist and my post comes from both professional and personal experience)
    Last edited by LizNeal; 10-02-2014 at 15:07. Reason: Given the content of the following posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Honestly, the "expensive clinic" are professionals. I often wonder why people get on the Internet to have a go at actual professionals as if they know more than said professionals, when they clearly have no training in the subject. What is that about? It reminds me of the AVN. As to the over diagnosis - how do you know? How do you know that these things are over diagnosed? Is that a guess, or do you have proof?

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (10-02-2014),atomicmama  (10-02-2014),Jakois  (10-02-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (10-02-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-02-2014),RastaMouse  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Honestly, the "expensive clinic" are professionals. I often wonder why people get on the Internet to have a go at actual professionals as if they know more than said professionals, when they clearly have no training in the subject. What is that about? It reminds me of the AVN. As to the over diagnosis - how do you know? How do you know that these things are over diagnosed? Is that a guess, or do you have proof?
    Exactly!

We went to an "expensive clinic" to start getting DS2 diagnosed. Because the public system is 5hi7 and the paeds etc dont give 2 hoots.

I am so tired of hearing outsiders comment like they know more than those actually living it.

When it comes to mental illnesses etc my advice is to be supportive or shut up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (10-02-2014),beebs  (10-02-2014),RipperRita  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Exactly!

We went to an "expensive clinic" to start getting DS2 diagnosed. Because the public system is 5hi7 and the paeds etc dont give 2 hoots.

I am so tired of hearing outsiders comment like they know more than those actually living it.

When it comes to mental illnesses etc my advice is to be supportive or shut up.

Exactly! I went to an "expensive" clinic because the public system failed me miserably! 6 month waiting lists and sending me home from hospital in a real fragile state.

Id hate to think people in my life sat back and thought that there was nothing really wrong with me and my mental illness was me basically being a moody b!sh :/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-02-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-02-2014),RipperRita  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see both sides and I dont think thats a bad thing. I think some people are taking this personally and the op wasnt saying anything against those with a mental illness.

She knows her family history even better than a dr and can see there is more issues at play which do sometimes go untreated

Dont assume that anyone on here diesnt have firsthand experience.

Anyway I think ill bow out of this thread. Have a nice afternoon all.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not taking it personally at all. I just find it really funny when people think they know more than doctors/psychiatrists/medical researchers/scientists etc - when they aren't one themselves. It seems to be a running theme on the net these days. So strange

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not taking it personally at all. I just find it really funny when people think they know more than doctors/psychiatrists/medical researchers/scientists etc - when they aren't one themselves. It seems to be a running theme on the net these days. So strange
    It was just an example, I do know my family ( been with DH for over 10 years, seen this girl grow up). So in this case I believe I do know this girl and know she's being labelled. im sorry if my post hit a nerve.
    I am an advocate for breaking the stigma and open discussions on the matter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Come on. The op wasnt saying shes a dr or scientist she was just expressing concern over a family situation that she knows alot about.

Are u saying misdiagnosis doesnt ever happen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Come on. The op wasnt saying shes a dr or scientist she was just expressing concern over a family situation that she knows alot about.

Are u saying misdiagnosis doesnt ever happen?

There is a difference between venting about one situation to the second paragraph of the OP. I cant seem to quote it but that is the part I found offensive.

Do people with depression know that being so tired they lay in bed all day isnt right? Of course the majority of them do. Does this mean its jot the depression and just laziness? Of course not.

I suffered from PND after the birth of my older 2 boys. I was conviced that something was going to happen to take my DS2 away from me. Utterly petrified to the point where I didnt let anyone, even DH, hold him. Did I know I was being illogical and it was the PND and anxiety? Of course I did. That didnt make the extreme fear any less debilitating.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-02-2014)