+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hairdresser stuffed up - am I being reasonable? (Long post!)

I went to a new hairdresser yesterday for a full head of foils which I've had done successfully a million times by my usual hairdresser, who has just had a baby so isn't currently working.

Last time I got my hair done, I got blonde and brown foils (2 blonde for every brown) so I showed her a photo of my hair when it used to be blonde and said "this is what I want". When I tell my old hairdresser that I want a change she says "yep I can do that, but not in one visit, to keep it looking good and healthy it might take 2-3 visits" and I appreciated the honesty. I assumed this hairdresser would do the same, start the process but I might have to come back for another few visits to get the end result shown in the photo.

When she was putting the foils in, she barely left any hair out at all, meaning it doesn't look like foils, it's all solid blonde colour so my re growth is going to be shocking.

Also, where it was previously blonde has been over-toned and was grey and where it was previously brown is yellow. Also my roots are yellow (from my mousy brown regrowth).

When she finished she said "are you happy with the colour?" At this stage I hadn't noticed the grey yet, so said "will using purple shampoo tone down the golden bits?" And she said "yep, after a few washes it will tone down. It's because it was brown underneath so you can't expect it to be perfect". Well actually I do expect it to be damn close to perfect, but anyway...

So I came home and had a closer look and was really upset about how horrible it looked. I contacted my cousin who is a hairdresser and she said to wash with detergent or head and shoulders to get rid of the grey, then the only option for the yellow is getting brown foils over the top. So I washed twice with H&S last night, then 4x with purple shampoo today just to see if it would calm the yellow down. The grey seems to be gone but the yellow is so yellow.
    I messaged the hairdresser on Facebook last night and called and left a message at the salon for her this morning. I let her know exactly what I don't like about it and told her I'd like to come back to get it fixed before I have to work on Tuesday because I'm really embarrassed about how it looks. I haven't heard back so I guess she's closed on Sundays, and as she works by herself I have a feeling she will be closed tomorrow too.

So what I want to do is go elsewhere tomorrow to get it fixed, then request a 50% refund from the original hairdresser. I'll call her early to see if she's there but I don't think she will be. If she was open tomorrow, I'd go back to get her to fix it seeing as though I've already paid for it. If she won't give me a 50% refund, I think I will dispute the transaction on my credit card. I paid $165 so it wasn't cheap, and will potentially have to pay that again elsewhere to fix her sloppy work, so i think it's only fair that I'm not out of pocket. I can't go to work looking like this on Tuesday, so it's not an option to wait until she's open.

Sorry for the hugely long winded back story but my question is - do you think this is a reasonable request?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you had such a bad experience... I am a hairdresser and I know it depends on their policy as to whether or not you can have a refund....

Unfortunately most places do not give refunds and legally they can do that provided that they offer to fix it for you free of charge...
    If you go elsewhere and pay to have it fixed before you have spoken to the original hairdressing salon that "stuffed up" your hair, then they can get away with not giving you a refund or re-do because you have gone elsewhere....

I also don't think u can dispute the charge on your credit card because you did infact have a service with them that has to be paid for....

Maybe contact fair works/ consumer protection and they will be able to give you advice on where you stand....

Goodluck and I hope it can be easily fixed for you... Nothing worse then walking around with patchy uneven brassy hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    The situation you've been left in is definitely not desirable and its very, very understandable that you're quite upset.

There was obviously a massive miscommunication between you two. However in regards to the option of going somewhere else then requesting a 50% regund if that were to happen in my (I dont own it) salon, I would hazard a guess we would consider it a little unreasonable simply as you haven't given us an option to fix it which we would do free of charge. I cant speak for everyone but most HD I know feel this way.

However its certainly worth a go especially if you're not comfortable putting your hair back into her hands.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you get your good hair back

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for your input :-) while it's certainly not my first choice to let her have another go at my hair, I would be willing to let her try as that means I don't have to pay another $165 and I'm sure she'll try damn hard to get it right, as I know 3 other people who go to her and they're certainly questioning whether they'll go back after seeing my hair. However my only reason for wanting / needing to go somewhere else is her opening hours, I won't be able to get back to see her until maybe Friday (if I can get someone to look after my daughter) or Saturday. And I don't feel comfortable walking around with this stupid hair for that long, it honestly looks like I bought a $10 DIY blonde from Woolies :-(

I was thinking that if she won't refund it, the reason for disputing the transaction would be that while I did receive the service, it wasn't the service I asked for, then the way she told me to improve it (purple shampoo) didn't work.

Thanks again though for your industry experienced input :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is your hair long enough to wear up in a bun/pony? It can disguise the warmth and unevenness quite well.
    Also a powdery dry shampoo can be amazing for making your roots look less warm. These are all tips I've gotten from working with a bleach blonde for 3+ years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I wore it up today in a bun, but the sides are quite ashy now (where it was grey yesterday) so it's a fairly stark contrast with the yellow top which makes it stand out more... Trying to figure which is the lesser of two evils lol :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update - didn't hear back from hairdresser #1 so in desperation, contacted my old hairdresser to ask if she was working from home or doing mobile hairdressing. Turns out she's not doing either but felt so sorry for me that she told me to come to her house yesterday to get it fixed. She did a magnificent job as always and you can't even see the shoddy job the other girl did.

Hairdresser #1 called me back and offered me an $80 gift voucher and I told her honestly that I don't feel comfortable coming back to her. So she offered to transfer the $80 cash into my account instead. I'm so happy with the outcome :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (11-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Update - didn't hear back from hairdresser #1 so in desperation, contacted my old hairdresser to ask if she was working from home or doing mobile hairdressing. Turns out she's not doing either but felt so sorry for me that she told me to come to her house yesterday to get it fixed. She did a magnificent job as always and you can't even see the shoddy job the other girl did.

Hairdresser #1 called me back and offered me an $80 gift voucher and I told her honestly that I don't feel comfortable coming back to her. So she offered to transfer the $80 cash into my account instead. I'm so happy with the outcome :-)
    Wow that's so nice of your old hairdresser and also good of the original hairdresser to offer that she must of known she stuffed up. Glad you got an outcome you are happy with

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

JR03  (11-02-2014)