+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mixed race families

Hello all

My husband (Indian) and I (Australian) are trying to conceive with our first child, just wondering if there where any other mixed race families out there and how you joined two cultures and styles together for your children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there is no other mixed race families is there families from a different culture trying to teach their kids of your homeland as well as Australia? ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My partner and I are african...but different countries and cultures. Its quite a challenge. One helpful thing is to have people around of that culture

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm australian (Irish parents) and my DH is Iraqi born, England raised. We will have 4 cultures to blend. As yet we don't do much as DD is only 16w old.
    ATM, DH will only talk to DD in Arabic while I talk to her in English so she can be bilingual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Australian and my husband is French. We 're currently expecting our first baby. Once born we plan to have my hubby speak in French to our child and I'll speak English so that the little one can be bilingual. Also we plan to send our child to an Anglo-French school when the time comes so s/he can be exposed to both languages and cultures. We will also take regular trips to France so our child can see and feel like a part of their French side as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am Australian with British heritage and DH is Scottish/Zambian, born and lived in Zambia for 14yrs then moved to Scotland until we moved here in 2008. I don't think we've made any special effort regarding exposing our son to his various cultural backgrounds....The food we eat is is varied mix from all cultures plus many we are not from. He talks to my in laws on the phone a few times a week and so is used to hearing both Scottish and Zambian accents. As he gets older I suppose we will show him where everyone is from on maps and talk more about life in those countries. My DH naturally uses both Scottish and Zambian terms in his everyday speech so he is picking up those sayings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will also go on frequent trips. And hubby has already said 70% english 30 % punjabi. But we wont make a boy wear a turban as hubby doesn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi DH and I are from different cultures. What works for us is exposing the kids to our home country's music, movies and so on. Even playing home music on the radio while I cook and do house chores works wonders, the kids already know lots of songs, names of singers, etc. We watch a lot of shows on Youtube on TV as well. We're also looking to teach them our language through language classes at the local primary school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I are from different backgrounds too. The little one is babysat by my Asian (but English speaking) parents most days when I am at work, so he gets exposed to the culture (but not so much the language - only the odd word here & there) while he is there. Having said that though, my parents have been here for around 30 years so aren't overly culturally traditional themselves. But the little one will grow up celebrating Chinese New Year, and doing other customary things like calling other elders "Auntie" and "Uncle" even if they are not related to him. I don't think he will be able to pick up any Chinese language though, unless he is specifically taught it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Australian and my husband born in Iran, been out here 6 yrs now. He only speaks Farsi to my son at home and I speak English. He can completely comprehend Farsi but rarely speaks it, he likes to count
    We make our relationship and family work as we have similar morals, especially in raising children. From time to time, I see cultural clashes but we do try to embrace each other's cultures and learn.

Me + DH + DS (2) + Bub #2 due July