+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry- that sounds like an unhappy experience. And I'm sorry to the OPs too, for going through what they did!

I had a minor PPH - 850mL. Mine wasn't a fast labour- 3cm when synto was started around 9am, didn't push til after 5pm, DS delivered by vacuum at 6:30pm. I had an epidural, which I think was my saving grace, as it reduced the pain. I didn't realise what was going on at the time- just knew that the midwives kept massaging my abdomen (which hurt, despite the epidural) and thought that they were" tugging" the placenta out (which really hurt). It was only later that my husband told me the OB had manually removed it, and that he'd been in "up to his elbow". I also had the suppositories afterwards.

I'm thankful that it was a minor PPH, and can only imagine how scary it must be for women losing lots more blood. I'm also glad I didn't realise at the time what was happening, and that the OB, midwives and DH did such a good job of staying calm and reassuring. I only later realised what had occurred from DH's comments and those of a nurse, who said she was amazed how quickly I was up and showering afterwards.

I was a bit shocked by the realisation, and during those first weeks had a few good cries over it. I think, though, that because I didn't know at the time what was happening and hence wasn't scared, and because it was a smaller PPH, it's been a shorter path for me to come to terms with it. I'm now okay with it.

If you're feeling traumatised, please do speak up and tell someone. It's not something you should keep bottled up, and talking can help you process the grief you feel over the experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not been through a PPH so I can't share my experiences but just reading these stories feels quite harrowing so I can only imagine that it must be indeed very traumatic to go through this.

The treatment sounds difficult, especially when you're already feeling quite powerless and frightened. It is a life and death situation I guess and the medical team seem to need to act first and talk later.

I like KW123's suggestion of setting whether the medical notes help the treatment more context.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Massive hugs!!! I also had a pph but after emergency csection. I had several internals before my epi and they were absolutely horrifying. I didn't see my baby for 2 hours which upset me a lot. It takes time to get over, I've only recently realised I'm not over it. I wish I had received counselling afterwards. Please acknowledge your trauma, you have every right for your feelings to be validated x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I actually got a copy of my birth records and that really helped me to understand what had happened which helped me get over it.
    I did this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rachie...my experience was very similar to yours and happened immediately after birth, although bub was thankfully fine. I was shocked at the pain of the manual removal of the clots and the (at the time it seemed) brutality of all the external pushing on my abdomen to try and contract my uterus. Later of course I understood how bad the situation was (I'd lost 2L of blood, spent over 2hrs in surgery and needed 3 blood transfusions). The memory is fading though - 3 weeks down the track and my feelings are a lot more resolved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lost over 3.5L in a PPH. I remember the midwife pressing so hard on my tummy to get my uterus to contract, and begging her to stop it was excruciating (especially as I'd had a c-section). I didn't have the manual clot removal though, that sounds hard as well, I had surgery. I got a copy of my medical record because I find it so hard to understand how I managed to lose so much blood in a hospital. It's an awful experience that stays with you for a long time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely seek counselling. It sounds like you are having an acute stress reaction, which can become PTSD. 21 months after my son's birth, i am still recovering from PTSD after a poorly managed and humiliating birth experience. Speak to your gp, midwife etc to find a counsellor/psychologist/psychiatrist who has experience with birth trauma. Good luck, I hope you find your beautiful baby to be as big a comfort as my darling son has been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @Hollywood and @mum2twinboys. That post kept me up last night, and it wasn't even directed at me. I spend so much time trying to explain that trauma is in the eye of the beholder, and as an outsider, your number one responsibility is to accept that that person IS traumatised, not to cast judgement, diminish it, or rationalise the behaviour of the perpetrator, no matter how 'logical' it may seem.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BigSurprise For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (10-02-2014),babyla  (10-02-2014),Bellaxo  (02-03-2014),Gentoo  (10-02-2014),Hollywood  (10-02-2014),kw123  (10-02-2014),mum2twinboys  (10-02-2014),Rachie81  (10-02-2014),sky1  (10-02-2014),Smyles  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Rachie81, I am sending you big and I commend you on putting your thoughts down and asking for others experiences too, because I a firm believer in a 'problem shared is a problem halved', and as you can see by this thread that many other women can empathise with you and know what you're going through.

I had quite a substantial PPH which resulted in being rushed to Theatre under a general ad receiving several blood transfusions. I also had to return 14 days later for another OP which resulted in further trauma which wasn't expected and because of that and other reasons, I can't write the nitty gritty details down, I get too upset thinking about it. However, I couldn't not post after reading your post and hope in time, you will find some peace in what you experienced etc. Take care. x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a traumatic labour with my ds (6 years ago) and still I sometimes get teary about it. My amazing Ob did come and talk to me the next day and he was brilliant in explaining why they did what they did, how the situation occurred etc. When I had my dd (almost 2 years ago) the same Ob was on the ward at the time I was in labour. He remembered me because he said I was one of the two labouring mothers he had almost lost to child birth. His timing was probably not great in sharing that info but as a result he said he wasn't going to leave me. He stayed with me for the whole 3 hours, never once left my side and helped me achieve the birthing experience I wanted. He also hugged me after. Sometimes they have to do what they have to do as time is not on their side and it is terrible to feel invaded, out of control and traumatised. Get as much info as you can about what went on. It helps a lot. Big hugs op.