+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PPH - traumatised by the treatment - want to understand if what was done was the norm

I lost 980ml of blood (I am small)
    I was induced
    Labour was 1hour 40. I went from 5cm to baby out in about 5 minutes.
    I bled as soon as he was out - It just dropped to the floor!

I was put on the bed immediately. The syn drip was put up to max, I was given two injections of different drugs in my leg.

My placenta was complete
    When I continued to bleed they inserted a catheter, they put instruments in me and then manually tried to find clots in my uterus. i don't think they used their entire hand, but they were moving my cervix around - feeling inside the cervix. I used the gas but was still worse pain than my labour. I was moaning and crying (I didn't do that for the labour). It felt so invasive. I had my legs in stirrups. I had no control over what was being done. I asked for pethidine and they said "sorry dear there is no time".
    then they put drugs up my bottom which was also horrible!

I cried and cried. At the same time as I was coding my baby was also coding - there were heaps of people in the room. Dr's there to resus bubby and Dr's there to stop me bleeding. Very upset by the whole thing :-( Not the birth I had pictured. I have not got to hold any of my babies after they were born. All 3 have been whisked away for treatment :-(

i didn't see him for 6 hours, was hooked up to a drip and they were procrastinating about whether to take me to theatre or not.

What was your experience like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Massive hugs.

I had a similar experience although obviously not as serious as theatre wasn't considered. I did find it very painful and there was a lot of stuff going on down there that I wasn't really aware of at the time, and the pressing on my abdomen by the midwives was excruciating. I also got drugs up the bottom. Unpleasant.

My labour was also short (I was induced and went from nothing to full on contractions every 30 secs within about 5 mins thanks to that bloody drip!

I felt pretty traumatised for well over a year (it also affected BFing so was traumatised by my inability to make that work too) but I do feel that I am recovered now. If I could go back in time I would definitely have had some counselling though. Is that something you've considered?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I'm sorry that you had this happen. Hugs.

Immediately following dd1s birth, I had a pph. My story is similar. I had a very fast birth, (she was born within about 15 mins of me arriving at hospital) and then only 2 pushes to deliver her, her head came, and then she literally flew out of me, (though she came out screaming with apgars of 10 and 10.) I immediately started bleeding, I could hear it hitting the floor, the ob couldn't stop it. I had no drugs during labour so I had no drugs whilst she put her hand right inside my uterus to check for retained placenta, I also had the panadeine and voltaren tablets in my bottom, she was quickly trying to stitch a large internal tear to see if that stopped some blood loss, I had the injections in my thighs, trying to make my uterus contract to stop the bleeding.

Eventually it stopped, no idea why it started, except that i think the fast birth contributed.

It's scary, it's scary to not have any idea what's happening, the urgency of medical staff, the obvious fear though forced calmness from everyone around you, the smell of the blood and the sound of it hitting the floor.

From the sound of your story, our pph were handled in exactly the same way, so I assume it's standard practice?

I know it's scary, even traumatic, and you can get some counseling, that will help you, even a debrief of what happened with your gp, a midwife or doctor?

Hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a similar experience. Lost 1.5 litres of blood as DD came out, then as I held her the obstetrician was trying to manually remove retained placenta while I sucked on gas. I got so high on the gas that they had to take DD off me because I was about to drop her. They weren't able to remove the retained placenta there so I was taken down to surgery, put under GA and they fixed me up. Lost another litre of blood so all up lost 2.5 litres.

For some reason I haven't been at all traumatised by my experience. I was thankfully able to just recover and get on with things. I have to go back for surgery to fix a bladder prolapse, but apart from that all is well now.

Sorry to hear you had a rough time if it OP. Hugs x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh yeah I had a fast birth too, seems to be a common theme among us! DD was born just 16 minutes after I got in the delivery suite, pushing stage of just 6 minutes, she pretty much fell out of me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Short labours are a risk factor. Unfortunately it does sound quite appropriate the treatment. The rate of blood flow is around 500-700ml/minute through your uterus from where the placenta is attached (imagine a giant placenta sized graze) so they have to act very quickly to prevent blood loss and further complications.

Perhaps a debrief is needed?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hmmm, I had a significant PPH (estimated 2.2l) and I had quite a different experience.
    I had a spontaneous labour but was given syntocin to try and expel anything left in my uterus when it was apparent I was hemorrhaging. I was then whisked off to theatre and given a spinal block so they could manually examine and remove anything left in my uterus. I got to hold DD immediately when she was born (placed on the chest) but she was then given to DF whilst I went to theatre. When I was in the recovery room after theatre I was with DF, my MW, my student MW and the nurse in that section. I started to get the shakes (side effect of meds) and the recovery nurse suggested I try to bf DD - his comment was actually "bf'ing solves everything, they should rub a boob over the middle east". Although it was a scary experience I was treated with respect and dignity all the way a- lthough there was at least 3 people down at business end whilst I was being cleaned out in theatre but my MW stayed with me all the time and held my hand.

Hugs. Take some time for yourself and don't let anyone try to minimise or gloss over any of your emotions about the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you had to go through that

Mine was similar, except a little bit delayed.

A couple of hours after the birth, everyone had left and I went to the loo. Blood was 'falling' out. I buzzed the nurse and then collapsed.

My treatment was similar - room full of people, catheter, manually checking for retained placenta, bi-manual uterine compression etc. Very scary.

I felt that I wasn't de-briefed properly so I returned a week after I'd been discharged to speak with one of the midwives. She was great and explained everything that they did to treat me and explained what they would do to try and prevent it happening again, should I have another baby.

About 8 months later I was diagnosed with PTSD and ended up having counselling. My counsellor said that it is triggered by the very real belief that you are going to die and the feelings of helplessness (which is how I felt when I had the PPH). Counselling helped and I feel that I've completely healed from the trauma now.

My counsellor also mentioned that some women who have been through this may have a bit of anxiety when their period returns, so that's something to be aware of too.

If you google 'PPH management manual' you can view some Australian hospital manuals for treating PPH's. I actually found it useful to read through these, I guess so I felt more informed about why it happened (I found I had several risk factors- previous, though less-severe PPH, multiple pregnancies, fast labour etc) and the treatment that I received (which was exactly as the manual described)

Also, make sure you take a good multi-vitamin. I felt so washed-out as my iron was already low prior to the PPH. The midwife said it would take approx 3 months for my energy to come back and the best thing to do was eat well and rest when possible (hard with a baby, I know).
    Last edited by sky1; 10-02-2014 at 09:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont think they were uncaring or negligent. Just wanted to understand the what and why etc and wish i could have had pain relief. also i didnt get panadol or up the bum it was more uterus contracting drugs. so just the gas.

thanks for all the responses. I appreciate every one of them. It helps to know I'm not the only one, and not the only one who feels negatively about it.

I asked for a debrief at the hosp but didn't get one. I'll speak to them at my 6 week check

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually got a copy of my birth records and that really helped me to understand what had happened which helped me get over it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (09-02-2014)