+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Full Time Nanny at Home - YES or NO?

I have a dilemma - I have a 3 and 1/2 yr old toddler at day care, and a 8 week old baby at home. However, I'm suffering from intense sciatic pain (thanks to my pregnancy) as well as high blood pressure. Most days I find it hard to walk and do the daily tasks required to look after the baby.

I really need to get my health back on track, but I also want to explore all the options available to me regarding child care/nanny care.

My husband has a full time job and I am currently on maternity leave, and have a full time job to go back to in July.

We are exploring the idea of having a full time nanny at home to take care of both our kids. Is this an economical option if I decide to still stay at home and get my health back on track over the next 4 months?

What nanny agencies are good out there? Do we get government rebate if we go for this option?

What are options are good to consider in my situation?

Any advise / help appreciated. Thanks in advance .
    Last edited by pegasusway; 09-02-2014 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck with it, I hope you get better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Good luck with it, I hope you get better soon
    Thanks maternidade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never had a full time nanny but I did have one 3 days a week mainly when I was trying to recover from PND. My children were 1 and 2 yrs old at the time. We found her on findababysitter.com.au where we paid a small fee to place an add and then interviewed about 4 of my favourites that applied (we had about 20 applications). This was a few years ago and there wasn't any funding for it at the time (I'm not sure if thats changed now... I do remember hearing TA talk about introducing something like that). Because we didn't receive any benefits for childcare anyway it worked out roughly the same price wise (daycare you pay per child, nanny its per hour regardless of number of children) but having a nanny was far more flexible. She could take the kids out, do housework, do food shopping etc. another option that is cheaper but you need to have the room is an au pair or demi pair. I have had friends that have had an au pair and they loved them and loves how they become part of the family. Is that an option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My sister was a nanny before she had kids. She preferred not to work for families where a parent was home all day as it usually just didn't work (was often the mother and she felt like she was being watched, it never ended well). She did have several very successful jobs for families who worked including a set of twins.

What about just getting a house cleaner and then a part time nanny? I don't honestly see a need for a full time nanny if you're home all day. Maybe just someone to help with lunch, tidy up and then prep dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if a Nanny is registered and has met certain criteria, you may be able to get the child care 50% rebate, but I have not done this as I have only ever used daycare. Centenary Nannies website has some info on it, might be worth calling an agency like that to suss it out. Sorry I can't help more. Just wanted to wish you good luck with your rehab- that pain is just so bad... I hope you can find some solution for your sciatica.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a nanny and we are superb I mean it!! Especially when baby needs to be held etc and you need to rest and def will educate your toddler and other household stuff. As you are going back to work in July I could see you having to extend that date if you suffer trying to do everything and cope with children as well. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you have three kids under school age you qualify for home care. Call centrelink.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    If you have three kids under school age you qualify for home care. Call centrelink.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    A friend who had a toddler followed closely by twins did this. She firmly believes it helped get her through as her twins both had reflux and barely slept. I was going to suggest you do the same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    I never had a full time nanny but I did have one 3 days a week mainly when I was trying to recover from PND. My children were 1 and 2 yrs old at the time. We found her on findababysitter.com.au where we paid a small fee to place an add and then interviewed about 4 of my favourites that applied (we had about 20 applications). This was a few years ago and there wasn't any funding for it at the time (I'm not sure if thats changed now... I do remember hearing TA talk about introducing something like that). Because we didn't receive any benefits for childcare anyway it worked out roughly the same price wise (daycare you pay per child, nanny its per hour regardless of number of children) but having a nanny was far more flexible. She could take the kids out, do housework, do food shopping etc. another option that is cheaper but you need to have the room is an au pair or demi pair. I have had friends that have had an au pair and they loved them and loves how they become part of the family. Is that an option?
    Thanks RipperRita. Having a nanny part time does sound like a good idea. Even now, I don't think Government funding is available for nannies.

I've thought about au pairs and demi pairs, but not sure if we would like someone living with us full time. However, it is something we would be open to if nothing else works out.