+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To create positive thinking every day just do a thankful. Whenever I start getting down I think back to my thankfuls and it makes you realise how lucky you are.

I believe that positive thinking creates luck and positive energy. I've noticed bad things seem to happen to my negative friends and good things to my positive friends.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your tips and replies. Some helpful tips and advice here. I will work on getting DH yo contact beyond blue and doing exercise (he likes golf). I'm trying to prevent DH from getting in too deep into the depression. He's already a shadow of his former self.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's an book and app called MindGardener that I'd recommend. Also, isn't there that new website from Beyond Blue especially for men? They've been promoting it during the T20 matches.... http://m.mantherapy.org.au/ Might be useful. At least he acknowledges there's something that not right. All the best, I hope his recovery is swift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe you could have that discussion that goes a little bit like this "You know if dd/ds broke his/her leg, do you reckon we could have a go fixing it at home? No? I guess we would need to head to the doctor/hospital. It seems that you and I need to do the same with your feelings. It is really worrying me and i'm worried that dd/ds may be affected too. Self help books/websites might be good but they don't seem like enough- what else can we do?' You might like to work through a self assessment for depression with him that you can find on beyondblue. It may help to direct him to get more support. Depression is an illness like any other. If he had diabetes, a uti, herpes whatever- he'd seek professional help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can recommend Mindspot.org.au, it is a Macquarie Uni/ Federal gov collaboration, providing a 10 week program for mild anxiety/depression/PTSD.

After a one hour telephone assessment the program requires about 4 hrs a week commitment, and is conducted online.

Mensline also provides online or telephone counselling.

Engaging in online or phone counseling can be a good "taster" of the counselling process for people who are underwhelmed by the idea of going to see someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a book called "It's Your Life, What are you Going to do with it?" by Anthony Grant. He is the head of Coaching Psychology at Sydney Uni and has done loads of research on happiness. So the techniques are firmly based in research. It isn't a fluffy book and it has lots of great information and specific things to do.

I think your husband would like it because it isn't specifically aimed at depression, but anyone who wants to make some changes, so he might be more open to the ideas.

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Your-Lif.../dp/1843040298

Hope your husband is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell him to google "distorted thought processes" and have a read. Also have a look at "Mindfulness" (I initially dismissed it as a bit airy fairy but the "living in the present" bits really resonated with me and helped me a great deal. You can download a few CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) workbooks and do them your self at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told to read The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. My psychologist recommended it.
    He also told me to look up mindfulness videos on youtube.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One good tip I have is to just both say to each other what you are grateful for each night before bed. It's very simple but makes a huge difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again knowledgeable bub hub ladies will do some googling and check out those books and online courses.
    I just find it so hard to help