+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to beat depression/ create positive thinking tips

Please don't quote I'll probably delete later.

DH is depressed. He admits it as well. However he refuses to seek professional help or medication. He is open to reading a book or doing an online course on how to change his negative outlook on things.

Is there any self help books anyone can recommend? Or other techniques he can try without accepting proper help? (He is also against meditation and yoga- a load of toss he thinks). I'm desperate. He drinks way too much to self medicate and is just so miserable and I'm worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure but perhaps you could see a GP/counsellor and they could recommend some books/strategies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not sure but perhaps you could see a GP/counsellor and they could recommend some books/strategies?
    He won't have a bar of either. Stupid men they are so proud. I suppose I could talk to somebody on behalf of him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So sorry to hear about your dh Have him see his gp firstly especially since he drinks too much but to also have a look at these resources aswell:

www.moodgym.anu.edu.au

http://ecouch.anu.edu.au

Both are really awesome resources and helped me when I was struggling through pnd.

Also the beyond blue website is awesome. They also have a phone line where you can speak to somebody any time.

You sound incredibly supportive, Its hard but you will both get through it xo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

SeymourTheBear  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry just saw he wont go to a gp, that makes it a bit difficult Beyond blue call line is anonymous so maybe he would feel better if he contacted them first? Once he sees that he can accept help you might have more of a chance of getting him to a gp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    That must be rough, for your DH and you.
    I am currently doing some exercises to modify my own way of thinking but they really only work if you want them to.

I read a blog post awhile back that was about rewiring yourself to think positively about yourself. Every time you thijk something that is a put down about yourself or your situation, recite "today, only love" and think of one positive that you like about yourself.

It sounds airy fairy and like a load of crap but it really does work, ive been doing this for almost 2 weeks now and I actually feel a lot more confident and the internal put downs are much less.

But this sort of thing only works if you truly want to make a change in your life.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm reading Buddhist bootcamp at the moment and that is helping me with negative thought patterns and changing the way I look at myself - your dh might find this helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    He won't have a bar of either. Stupid men they are so proud. I suppose I could talk to somebody on behalf of him.
    My friends hubby is the same, it's 'woosy' to seek help. So my friend goes to a counsellor and gets hints for how she can deal with things/point hubby in the right direction..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Does he exercise at all? If not, could you get him going for at least a 30 minute walk each day?

Does he drink alcohol? If so, eliminating this would be a good idea.

His diet, what's that like? Can he avoid all the processed crap and eat as clean as possible?

Does he have anyone he can sit down with and talk about any of this? Will he talk to you? On especially sh!t days, it can be really beneficial just to get it all out there.

What about natural alternatives to medication? You can pick St. John's Wort up at the supermarket. Studies have shown it's just as effective at treating mild depression as some ssri antidepressants are. If there are anxiety issues he could try some magnesium as well.

Good luck OP. I hope your DH finds a combination of things that really help!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

ZAK  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second moodgym.

And beyond blue website..