+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default So worried.

We have decided we are selling uo and moving to the gold coast to rent for a while. We want a change of scenery and lifestyle. Its a big change for all of us and we are very unsure of the logistics of it all. My biggest hurdle is telling my parents that we are leaving. I wouldnt say we are overly close with my parents as they dont show much interest in us or the kids but I know they love the kids. They will be upset and probably angry. Has anyone ever moved away from family? How did you tell them? When did you tell them? How did they react? I am so nervous about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can understand them being upset but why would they be angry? In the end, just be brief and truthful. If you aren't overly close they don't need to know everything. Maybe you could set them up on Skype to talk to the kids?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved from the UK to melbourne. Just sat them down and told them face to face. Hubby's parents guilt trip us still but Skype every weekend. My mum wasn't bothered and we didn't speak to her for 2years (just because I never bothered contacting her and she never bothered contacting me) until we just went back over Xmas. Moving was for us and it was the best thing we ever did.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    I can understand them being upset but why would they be angry? In the end, just be brief and truthful. If you aren't overly close they don't need to know everything. Maybe you could set them up on Skype to talk to the kids?
    I just know they will become hostile. I dred confrontation. Skype is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first time we moved from the GC to Adelaide we gave our families lots of notice. My side took it really well but in laws not so much but they eventually got used to it. You just need to tell them straight out that this is what you want to do for your family and they can't change that!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I moved 3 1/2 hours away from city to country I was worried how my parents would react, but they surprised me as they were really good about it. They knew it would be a better lifestyle for my children even if they would miss us, they were happy for us and supported it. Which helped a lot. In the end you have to do what's best for your family

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved from nz to sydney my widowed il is a strange lady who is overly emotional toward my dh, best move we ever accomplished together. my il has learnt to be quite independent over the last 6 years. My parents are happy too at times. Tell yr family asap before they find out through someone else. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Who wouldn't be happy with legitimate reasons to holiday in the Gold Coast? You might find it will be good for all of you

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We semi recently moved interstate. My old in laws and they followed us. Told my parents and they were upset but they now realise that it was the best move we have ever made and are happy for us.