+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Potential new adf family

My husband has just been psych approved to rejoin the adf and will have his interview and medical at some stage in the next few weeks. Because he is applying for a priority job his case manager has recommended we start getting organised etc, because he could be gone as soon as 6 weeks (although given it's taken nearly a year to get to this point I have my doubts)

That said, if we aren't ready,Murphy's law will kick in and he will get his enlistment date and be gone ridiculously quick. So, with that in mind, what should we be organising or planning? My list so far includes:

Buy the 11 million things on his packing list
    Transfer dog rego / microchip to my name
    Clean out his shed / box up anything he won't need over the next 6 months (if he doesn't get in we are moving in 6 months anyway)
    Get rid of all the crap in this house we should have thrown out years ago
    Make a short home movie to play for DS (who is only 7 months old)

Is there anything else Im missing or any other tips you can share?

If he gets the job he wants we should end up in QLD (amberley raaf). We currently live inSA so it's a huge move. Once I know where he is posting I have to pick a high school for DD.

Also, what is the reality like working with kids and an adf husband? What do you do for work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm an army wife. Dh is perpetually away. Currently he is posted to syd but doing a course in melb for the next six months so ive elected to stay in bris.
    Firstly the army will move you and your stuff to qld. You will get to pick a house depending on the enlisted persons rank. Be warned that some dha houses are crapola. But they are great landlords. No issue getting things fixed asap.

When you get your house you will know where to look for schools.

Work. I have a resume that looks like chopped meat. Luckily I'm a in a niche market so I find it easy to get work but will probably never accrue long service leave.

Your job needs to be super flex if you have kids. Being an army partner is similar to being a FIFO one but with less money and no consistency.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just recently updated our wills and also made each other enduring power of attorneys. I think this is important to do, as your not in the army you may need to do this externally first but when he rejoins they will do one up for him especially before he is posted. Of course being an army wife is manageable but it IS a strain on a marriage.

Just make sure you communicate, while he is away it's a good idea to keep a diary as when they call or skype everything you wanted to say just rushes to you and you always forget things the moment you hang up. I used to always jot little things down that I would talk to him about it made him feel a part of everything. I also wrote many many many emails.

The biggest thing you need is patience, when they call or email that's the only chance you get and you find you will have to drop everything you are doing (or wake at 3am) to chat otherwise you miss the chance. Hmmm that's all I can think about regarding deployments.

I am a nurse and that job is very flex but if you wanted to study there is funding for dependants. They don't really help you find a job but you can get childcare rebates while you go to interviews and funding to help you do a resume.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies,

One more quick question if I can - IF he gets in, and we get relocated, do any of you know if we are restricted to packing all our stuff in moving boxes only, or are other types of container (especially non square / rectangular ones? I was googling and found the toll transitions handbook, but it didn't seem to say.

Oh, and how detailed does the inventory have to be? Is it every singe item, or box 1 is books etc? As I mentioned earlier, if he doesn't get in we will be moving in 6 months anyway, and our current house is TINY so we have heaps of stuff in storage in the shed and I really don't want to unpack it to inventory it and repack it if I don't have to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They drop off to you a few boxes for personal items (toiletries etc) and clothes. Toll will not pack clothes and shoes.

Everything else they will pack. Even washing baskets.

Inventory is for furniture etc by room. Ie bedroom 1- queen bed and mattress, bookshelf, dresser, tallboy etc. Usually someone comes out to eyeball your stuff as to allocate staff to pack. They even packed everything in our pantry.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 08-02-2014 at 18:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we did the inventory it was basically to gauge how many things we had so they knew how many people to send to pack and then how many containers we would need to move it all. The boxes you have packed can stay packed they will just be marked as owner packed and the contents won't be covered under insurance. Here is an overview of what will happen when you move.

Receive posting order
    Go on homefind and pick house in your new location
    You will then be able to complete you inventory with toll
    Toll will organise uplift day and removalists etc and you will get a case manager
    You will have a day that movers come in and pack your contents up in boxes (everything needs a sticker)
    The next day they will come and put every box into a shipping container
    You will be placed in temporary accommodation from the day they pack your contents and then given an allowance for food, accommodation while travelling to your new location, plus for others things and disturbance allowance. Then depending on if you drive or not you travel to your new location and go again into temporary accommodation until you can go to a welcome visit at your new house and then the next day the movers will come and unpack all your things (if you wish)

Sorry long speel we just went through all this last month (plus with a 5week old). There's a group on fb that's called we hate dha. You can post questions in there and everyone is very helpful. Don't be too put off by everything you read on there though, people have horror stories. It's not too bad but it's not as glamorous or easy as they make out either and be very prepared for your furniture to get damaged. (You can claim for this after you move in). Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't know if its the same group but there's I hate dha fb page as well.
    As far as containers - any plastic tubs we use for storage they would pack directly or cram into their boxes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and our inventory was fairly generic. I THINK we just did the furniture etc and then an approximation of boxes of stuff. The toll rep was helpful - weird, I know - they do come out and look over it to try and guess how big a container you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    Oh and our inventory was fairly generic. I THINK we just did the furniture etc and then an approximation of boxes of stuff. The toll rep was helpful - weird, I know - they do come out and look over it to try and guess how big a container you need.
    I worked for Toll for years. Hence my worry lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    Once I know where he is posting I have to pick a high school for DD.
    How did you go school hunting?? I think the raaf families usually get housing in a suburb called forest lake. I wouldn't touch any of the Ipswich schools with a 10 foot pole (except Ipswich Girls Grammar) and would look towards Brisbane for schools.