+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's happening with No 2s???

Ok, so we managed to toilet train DS pretty quickly in the new year. He turned 3 in Dec. Prior to that he'd been sitting on the toilet to wee from time to time, but wasn't really all that interested. Suddenly in the new year he was very keen, we put him in undies and within 10 days he was using the toilet for all wees and poos and very pleased with himself. He was in nappies for sleeps and overnight, but otherwise managing well with undies and only wetting his pants if he got preoccupied with something else. All good. And then I went back to work and he went from 2 days to 5 days a week at daycare and moved up to the next room. Since then, he has pooed his pants pretty much every day, with only a few on the toilet after much coaxing. If we ask if he needs to go - and it will be very obvious - he says no, gets angry, runs away, then poos his pants and comes and tells us. Every day I collect him from daycare, there are dirty pants in his bag. We've tried talking to him about it, telling him all his friends poo on the toilet, getting him to promise he will too. He always promises, then the next day he poos his pants again. We had given him a prize when he first mastered the toilet poo - a scooter - and have now taken it back, and he couldn't care less. He's not interested in rewards of any kind. He's an extremely stubborn, challenging kid, and he knows when he needs to poo and how to do it on the toilet, he's just refusing to do it.

What should we do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi tikigirl, just some suggestions, not from much experience but from heaps of reading... when you see that he needs to go, could you perhaps just say - quick lets go to the toilet - and take him, then read a book with him while he sits there, instead of asking? I've read that if you ask kids you usually get a 'no' in response. Also, does he see you and/or partner/siblings poop on the loo? That may help as well. These are things I've read that help, and they're things I do with our boy - but he's just 1.5yrs - not a terrible two or "threenager" just yet!

Not sure what you could do to help the daycare situation. Do they have suggestions? Or is it up to you to sort it all out at home?
    Last edited by debsch; 07-02-2014 at 12:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was completely tt at 2.5yrs old within 3 days. No nappies at night either.
    She won't however, poo on the potty or toilet. She is about to turn 3. Asks for a nappy on so she can poo. If I tell her to have a sit on the toilet/potty when she asks for the nappy, she gets really upset.
    we have rewards, (a DVD and a book) which i show her all the time and remind her if she uses the toilet for pop she can have them. It's a no go each time.
    I have even sat on the toilet with her on my lap.
    Wondering when she will get over this phase!!!
    No advice really but I have read it's fairly common. So I guess that puts my mind at ease. She will use the toilet for poo/wee when she wants and for now I just have to make it all as stress and fuss free as possible.

i would say the change in daycare room and routine has thrown him out. Did your daycare do transition days leading upto room change? It's a nice slow introduction process.
    You might just have to keep reinforcing what he used to do and just be patient and wait it out until life settles again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the same problem with my DS 3. He is also doing it with wee atm 😳. My husband has been away for four weeks now so I think it might be that. He was doing this with poo before DH left but wee was fine. Early this week he decided the toilet was ok with just the adult seat down and we had no problems for four days. Tonight he refused to pee outside or in the toilet and wanted a nappy on. I didn't give him one and he went on to wet himself. He's also dropping his day sleep and not really coping but also refusing to sleep. DH home in 1.5 weeks, I hope he goes back to using the loo and the tantrums stop. I have heard kids can regress with new stressors such as changing day care room or in my case DH away. I'm hoping it passes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, ladies. We are still struggling, with DS pooing his pants pretty much every day. I know it's all because of the changes in his life but I really hope the regression comes to an end soon! Weeing is fine, it's just number twos. It's hard to be patient and not get frustrated when I pick him up every day and there's at least one pair of dirty undies in the bag, which I have to deal with as soon as I get home. The last thing I need after a long day at work! Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started TT DS1 4 months ago when he was 2&3/4, and he has only ever pooed in a nappy or in his undies - until last week when he did his first poo in the potty. Up until then he pretty much did what your Lo is doing - he'd get all aggitated when he had to go and start walking around the house on his tippy toes, I'd aske if he had to sit on the potty and he'd get cranky at me, go somewhere quiet to do his poo them come and tell me.

It definitely sounds like the change at daycare. DS1 won't poo at daycare at all, and he had a bit of trouble weeing on his potty at daycare at the start because he was shy around the other kids. His carer actually told me doing poos in his undies was a good thing, because at least he was going - some kids hold onto them for days and refuse to go at all which can cause some issues. I would try not to make a big deal, I know cleaning up pooey clothes is a pain, but I'm sure he will eventually go back to the potty once he's feeling more comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree about not making a big deal about it, and I agree that it's better out than in! The daycare director told me I was probably more concerned about it than they were as it's part of their job - but every day when I pick him up one of the carers greets me with "He had x number of accidents today." He was doing so well, it's just frustrating that the regression has been going on for almost a month now. Wees, no problem. Poos, no way! It broke my heart this afternoon when one of the carers was cleaning him up in the bathroom and some kids were watching from outside saying "ooh, yucky!" I really hope he's not being teased. I will talk to them about it tomorrow.