+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Help me decide which preschool

DS1 is 4 and will be going to kindergarten (NSW) next year. I am trying to decide between 2 preschools for this year and would love some advice.

Option 1:
    Private preschool,
    Cost $40 a day, he would go for 2 full days 9-3.
    We would walk to and from which would take approx 20 mins.
    He may have to go on a waitlist to get in.

Option 2:
    Govt. preschool attached to a primary school.
    Cost $10 a day (possibly less as we have a HCC),
    5 half days between 9-11:30,
    My cousin also goes here which DS1 would love as they are good friends.
    We would have to catch the bus to and from as I don't drive. This would add up to between $70-$100 a week if I did 4 trips (drop off, go home, pick up, go home).
    I know there are definite places available.

Other factors:
    DS1 has never been to daycare or childcare before.
    DS2 still naps during the day. We are transitioning to 1 nap after lunch.
    My grandparents have said they are happy to pick up DS1 if I need them to and my Aunty has also said that he can go home with her if it helps.
    I don't know how the programmes differ in what they do.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. I'm finding it very hard to decide where to send him. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would choose the private kindy because for 1 I'd rathe my child go 2 days a week then 4-5 days a week. You wouldn't have to rely on other people picking him up or dropping him off. You wouldn't have to go on the bus everyday to get there and I honestly would be annoyed about catching the bus to the public one dropping him off then going home only to return an hour later

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How long is the waitlist for option1?
    I'd prefer option 1 as that's what my kids did and it was awesome. I also don't like the sound of 5 days a week for a couple of hours. Doesn't make much sense to me personally. Plus the travel.
    But you'd want to get in soon for option 1, it would be good for him to have a full year there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    How long is the waitlist for option1?
    I'd prefer option 1 as that's what my kids did and it was awesome. I also don't like the sound of 5 days a week for a couple of hours. Doesn't make much sense to me personally. Plus the travel.
    But you'd want to get in soon for option 1, it would be good for him to have a full year there.
    I am going to call to find out as soon as DS2 goes to sleep today. Hopefully it's not long if I'm flexible on what days he goes.
    I like option 1 as it means we would still be able to do things on the other 3 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd do the 2 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    Just talked to option 1 and she said I can fill out a form for the waitlist as they are full atm. They are hoping to increase their numbers but he could have to wait until March.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you start at the second one and then swap when there are places available at the first one? I suppose it isnt long til march anyway though!

A plus for the preschool attached to the school is that he will get used to the big school as well and most kids will move onto that school so the transition is easier. Also, they will probably prepare the kids skillwise as to what they need for school. Some private preschools dont actively do this.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    I think if I started him at the school one he wouldn't want to swap because he would love being with my cousin. There is a closer primary school to us which he will go to next year so he won't stay with the same kids either. I am going to put him on the waitlist and hope a spot comes up soon. I'm not overly worried about him missing out because we do a lot of craft and things they do at home anyway. I just want him to get used to being away from me and listening to teachers.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Which would provide a better education? That would be my deciding factor.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHoward View Post
    Which would provide a better education? That would be my deciding factor.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm not worried about either in that regard. He's only 4 so most of his learning should be through play. The one we chose does look like it will be good education wise. They keep a portfolio of all of the kids work and show what they are learning.

I went to option 1 today to pick up the form and she told me it would only be $17 a day which I am happy with. DS1 didn't want to leave and they said I can bring him back anytime so he can play and see what it will be like. There is also a couple of spots but people are changing days around so once they get that sorted he should be able to start soon.