+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wasn't asked, Father, and my voice as a tax paying citizen (because apparently that makes me more important) counts. I do not support the liberal government.
    Therefor, no, there's nothing scientific about picking a demographic and asking a group of people and be like "yep, there you go, that'll represent the lot of them."

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    You do realise that there are a great deal of people out there that don't use social media like facebook right? It always amazes me how people think that a facebook page is an example of popular opinion. We are a country of over 22 million. Yet you think a page with 45,000 'likes' proves something? 'Likes' that could be coming from any country around the world.

If you would like to think that the majority do not support Abbott - then good for you. The reality is though - the majority voted for him, and will most likely vote for him again at the next election. Time will tell.
    You do realise that a great deal of people DO use social media and that for those that do, many are dissatisfied with TA.

A great deal of people don't participate in polls that are published in Murdoch media, but you have no problem with using them as a guide to how the country is thinking.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    A lot of people didn't understand they were voting liberal was the problem. Schools don't give education on how the voting system works. From my understanding, if you vote for a small party, you vote for them to have a seat but their preference goes to labor/liberal/the greens (I think?), so people who voted the Aus Sex Party (for example) didn't realise that vote would go to liberal.
    So it's the school's fault that Abbott is in government???
    I think that you are underestimating the intelligence of the Australian public.
    It sounds like you really don't know how our electoral system works, but somehow, you managed to not vote for Abbott. Is that correct?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't asked, Father, and my voice as a tax paying citizen (because apparently that makes me more important) counts. I do not support the liberal government.
    Therefor, no, there's nothing scientific about picking a demographic and asking a group of people and be like "yep, there you go, that'll represent the lot of them."

You were asked during the election last year. And the majority supported Abbott. Pretty much exactly as the scientific polls had predicted. Amazing.
    I don't think facebook users were happy though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A lot of people didn't understand they were voting liberal was the problem. Schools don't give education on how the voting system works. From my understanding, if you vote for a small party, you vote for them to have a seat but their preference goes to labor/liberal/the greens (I think?), so people who voted the Aus Sex Party (for example) didn't realise that vote would go to liberal.

Preferences don't automatically go anywhere. They go where people allocate them.

Saying Sex Party votes automatically go to the Liberal Party is no more accurate than saying votes for the Greens automatically go to the ALP.

It's clear though that people really don't understand how our system works. It depresses me no end.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (08-02-2014),Father  (08-02-2014),kw123  (08-02-2014),lambjam  (08-02-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    While Abbott did win with a fairly substantial margin - 53.5% to 46.5%. It does not take a genius to work out that he is ****ing off his own believers. I live in LNP heartland and people around here are freaking out at what he is doing. I can only hope he keeps doing it - that way Labor will stand a chance at the next election.

Honestly - wtf did people expect??

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Preferences don't automatically go anywhere. They go where people allocate them.

Saying Sex Party votes automatically go to the Liberal Party is no more accurate than saying votes for the Greens automatically go to the ALP.

It's clear though that people really don't understand how our system works. It depresses me no end.
    It's how I had it explained to me so *Shrug* and that was by someone in politics. I figured they'd know what they were on about. If they're wrong then they're wrong and so am I and most people I know. So apparently we did vote in Liberal. That is depressing. Bright side is, we learn from our mistakes and so try and fix them.

My point stands, however, that facebook polls and statistics mean about as much as each other when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    While Abbott did win with a fairly substantial margin - 53.5% to 46.5%. It does not take a genius to work out that he is ****ing off his own believers. I live in LNP heartland and people around here are freaking out at what he is doing. I can only hope he keeps doing it - that way Labor will stand a chance at the next election.

Honestly - wtf did people expect??
    I ask my mum this. Every day. And everytime she rants about Abbot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know those types of comments really **** me off. I know a few university lecturers who were let go with funding cuts, they are women in their late 50s and early 60s, all on welfare, desperately trying to get work, hate being on welfare. And you guessed it - they are too old, older women (even worse) and wayyy too over qualified for most positions. Yeah - better get them off the welfare - it isn't like they haven't worked their entire lives and circumstance got in the way:roll eyes:

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    The majority of those on welfare are those who can't work, or who's circumstances make working extremely difficult.

But yay. Let's ensure they don't have the means to get by, because an Australia with overcrowding, extreme homelessness, theft for survival is the Australia I pay taxes to live in, right?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (08-02-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I can only hope he keeps doing it - that way Labor will stand a chance at the next election.
    That is an interesting view. So in your eyes, what he is doing is annoying Labor voters and Liberal voters alike. Again, if that is what you want to believe, then good on you.
    Can you explain exactly which policy is annoying his 'believers' in your area?