+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I'm a bit nervous

I just received ANOTHER email from my dad about Australia having asylum seekers. I have known my entire life my father is racist. He told me as a teenager he would disown me if I ever had a black boyfriend. I have never confronted him about it despite my disgust. Tonight I replied to his email asking if he could take me off the mailing list for those kind of emails as I'm quite ok with Australia being a multicultural country. I'm actually a little worried about the reply I may receive. I just don't want to be sent that kind of stuff. I don't find it entertaining in the slightest.

Eekkkk I'm nervous :/
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 06-02-2014 at 20:47.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Our fathers must be cut from the same cloth. We were in a hospital visiting someone and there was a sign on the elevator about "stopping the spread of diseases". My father said "I know how they can stop the spread of diseases... Stop the boats." I ripped him a new one, I didn't care if people heard.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (06-02-2014),SpecialK  (06-02-2014),Theboys&me  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think we may be long lost sisters...my dad had the same rule about boyfriends who were not "like us".

I had a similar confrontation with my dad...we didn't speak for 4 years after lmao but now we have an OK relationship. We have an agreed rule that politics and religion are not discussed EVER...and it has sort of saved out relationship.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps send him an article like this so that you don't have to argue further.

http://mobile.news.com.au/world/ten-...-1226676024840

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's my mother!
    My husband calls her ":name: Hanson"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I honestly can't speak to him about it. He's extremely judgemental - does my head in.

He's the same father who had a go at me for going out one night as I'm a mother. Considering he spent 90% of my childhood in a pub I was blown away by the hypocrisy! Apparently it's the woman's job to stay home all the time and men can go and drink. I got so angry with him I just went to town about him being a failure as a father and reminded him that I only ever went out when I was forced to be separated from my children as they were at their father's house. I don't even drink when my boys are home (unlike he did.... My job as a child was fetching beers for him). We didn't speak for a year after that because of my choosing. I really wish you could pick your family.

I just can't swallow his stance on things. I'm embarrassed by his thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good on you for telling him you don't want his stupid emails anymore!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I made a family member leave a restaurant once (OK, I told them to go home "very firmly") ) when we were having a birthday dinner for DS a couple of years ago at an Indian restaurant because they made racist remarks about the staff.
    I wont stand for it.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You have done the right thing. I hope he respects your request.