+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fostering in Victoria.

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me? Myself and hubby are looking into fostering, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the process, recommend where to start and help me on how long the whole process takes?
    Hope to hear from someone soon :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there anyone that can help me :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a foster carer in NSW so can't help with how things work in Vic but happy to answer general fostering questions you might have

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/for-indivi...re/foster-care

here is a great place to start. lots of info and links.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you for that link will read up now! Wise old owl can you tell me about fostering the difficult times the rewarding times? I have wanted to do this my whole life, something I wanted to do when I was older and finished having children, but as we are having trouble conceiving its now something we think we ready to do now :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The best advise I can give is to not go into it thinking that you will get a child to raise forever because you might get your heart broken. Even when there are long-term orders things can change. I started out doing respite, emergency and short term. I don't do respite anymore but still do emergency and short term (most emergency turn into short term anyway) and I am now a long term carer and have had my DS since birth. He is now almost 2.5 and is very much part of our family. I choose to only take babies up to 18 months as I find that is what suits my family best. The hardest thing is when a child leaves you and you don't feel it is in their best interests but you have to resign yourself that it is not your call. Then of course dealing with access visits is also hard. Sometimes it is very hard for you to have a normal life when there are 3 visits a week. Knowing what so called parents have done to a child is awful. I once had a emergency placement of a little 6 month old girl I had to collect from hospital with a fractured arm and several fractured ribs and when they x-rayed her they found old fractures as well including a fractured skull. I am with FACS (Family and Child Services) so I don't know how agencies work. If your child has cultural needs you need to be willing to provide access to that community ie my DS is Aboriginal so we go to a playgroup run by the local Aboriginal community and next year DS will attend an Aboriginal Pre-school just as an example. The best things are too many to name. Having a sick little baby arrive at your door and him put his little head on your shoulder because he just needs a hug. Seeing a very despondent baby start to smile and respond to you or getting a drug affected newborn to sleep peacefully in your arms after hours of screaming from withdrawals. These are the rewards I get and why I keep going.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 07-02-2014 at 07:07.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (11-08-2014),Monster & Boof  (06-02-2014),Twocam  (07-02-2014)