+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Extremely engorged!! Help!

Hi bubby was born on Monday and my milk started coming in yesterday.

Well today, seriously I'm not joking when I say my boobs are like soccer balls! They are normally just average size, a handful, but today it's just ridiculous.

I've been engorced before with my DS1, but never like this.

Midwife came round today and we spoke about it and she said just feed bub and minimal expressing, which is fine as I know its a supply and demand type thing but my boobs are so full and sore that I need relief.

Bub only feeds one side at a time as he is seriously having to gulp it down and it barely makes a difference to my boob.

I'm lucky to have so much milk, I know that, and not complaining but it's really hurting me a lot.

I have a big lump under my right arm too.

I've tried heat packs and cold packs and a hot shower but nothing is helping and I'm worried about mastitis.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I would express. You sound like you're in pain and it's handy to have milk frozen as a backup. Once bub is comfortable feeding if you need a break you will have the option.

Don't go overboard expressing just do it so you are comfortable. It is supply and demand but it will settle down as you won't need to keep expressing.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cabbage leaves are great. The hospy kept them in the freezer when I had my kids. I went through exactly what you are both times. It was excruciating. When I got home I bought cabbage and wore it in my bra. A bit gross but it honestly gave me relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would express! My MW (who was also a LC) said to express for 7-10 minutes on each side when really engorged. She said it will provide relief but not cause your body to produce heaps more. It definitely worked for me.

The other thing that helped was putting wet face washes in the fridge and putting them in my bra. Simple, yet so effective!

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'd hand express a little bit off until you are comfortable. I found that when I got to that point I would have to hand express anyway to soften my boob so that bub could latch.

Me, he and our two boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, would electric breast pump be too much?

I don't have much luck with hand expressing (not when I'm this engorged, I only get very small amounts out)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Electric pump will be fine, I expressed for 4 months. Just 10 min each side will help

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem just last week. Spoke to ABA and the lovely lady suggested a little expressing too. Also to try and do a couple of feeds just from one side all in a row so you can drain the one side. So I would express a little to make it easier for DS to drink then express the other side. Seems to have worked and now I don't need to express anymore (I have over a litre in the freezer though!)
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just expressed about 50ml from both sides, feel a bit of relief. Now to wake the baby and get him to feed too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your new baby
    I always produced loads of milk too, but this time around couldn't breastfeed due to medication, so had to go through the horrible process of drying up my milk.
    I started by expressing 50 mls each side twice a day with an electric pump. It would still leave me very engorged, but in not so much pain. I was able to dry my milk up in two weeks like this, so you might be ok doing the 50 ml twice a day for a few days while your supply settles.
    I still hurt, but was able to keep mastitis at bay Thank God. When you express with an electric pump use the other hand to firmly massage the lumps towards your nipple IYKWIM. It hurts, but it helps clear the milk duct that has caused the lump, which stops it getting blocked and causing mastitis. If you can, do the massage while you are feeding bub also as it will help relieve some of that 'OMG Im going pop) pain lol.

Oh, and chuck a couple of newborn nappies in the freezer for a while, whip them out, open them up and place one directly over each boob. It looks hilarious but it works-my maternity ward had them in their freezer too