+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    do the baths at different times. toddler could have a bath earlier in the afternoon. I don't like the idea of bathing together before the little one can sit unaided. If bub has a regular arsenic hour, as most bubs do, try to avoid doing extra things at that time. Also try not to put too much pressure on your self. I agree bath and bedtime should be the quite peaceful part of the day, and I would try to have that flow smoothly, but we can only do what we can do. Perhaps, if the bathtime routine is too crazy, make an extra effort with the story time, make that the quite time. I always had story time with my children. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd was 21mths old when I had ds. I did baths twice per week and separately. Too young to juggle them together in water!
    from 6pm the routine would start. I would bath my newborn in the baby bath and dd would stand on a chair and help/watch. She loved it. The bath was only ever 5mins long. Dd would help with a little massage afterwards. I'd pop on abc kids or a movie for dd while I gave ds a feed and put him into his Bassenette. He was usually very sleepy and would just drop off to sleep without much fuss.
    then I'd get dd into the normal bath. Do milk,book and bed by approx 7-7.30pm.

then dh would be home, we'd usually be half way through dinner and ds would wake for a feed and would feed for hours! Oh so happy to be beyond THOSE days!!

oh and of course, if it was a yucky day, pfffftttt I'd skip baths! Sometimes dd would have the first bath if ds was sleeping. U eventually figure it all out and what works, what doesn't.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 06-02-2014 at 13:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been doing bath bed by myself for ages. I've always bathed both girls together (22mths apart).

Get the bathroom ready with everything for newborn. Id usually just wheel the change table to the bathroom.

Fill bath. Pop toddler in first whilst baby in rocker or car capsule (easier to move around and rocks nicely too). Then pop baby in and wash quickly. Pop baby out and massage/dress whilst toddler in bath. Feed baby whilst toddler in bath still. Once baby asleep pop in capsule or rocker/swing. Then attend to toddler.

Dress toddler then I read to them and used to cuddle to sleep. So is cuddle my toddy whilst using my foot to move rocker for newbie.

Once both asleep I'd move the baby around the house (still in rocker/car capsule) whilst I did my jobs/chores/ate dinner. Its so easy to resettle them in there. Only after the first feed did bub move to the cot or my bed.

Easy peasy.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to bath them both at the same time. Not in the big bath together as it was too deep to hold a newborn in. Toddler in normal bath and baby in the baby bath on the floor. Baby out first, dressed then put in the bouncer while I got the toddler dressed (all done in the bathroom). Then into toddlers room to read books while I bf the baby. Toddler to bed then baby once she was asleep on the boob. Mine are 19.5 months apart.
    Sounds easy but I had to be organised and fast and I did not enjoy it when DH was not home for dinner and bed time.

The other thing you could try is a carrier for your back, an ergo or similar (or a woven wrap) so you can have your baby on your back during this time. I found back carrying much much more helpful than front carries as it is very hard to pick up and do thins with a baby strapped on your front.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 14month old and a new born. I would sit the new born in the bouncer on the bathroom floor and bath the toddler. Once the toddler was done would take him out and dry him and put a nappy on him. I had baby proofed my whole house and left the cartoons on the tv so he would either stay and watch me bath baby or go and watch his cartoons. I would always change the water between too toddlers can be dirty messy little kids

This time I will have a 15month old a 2.5year old and a new born. Will do the same thing. Can imagine its going to be a little more crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    Showering with a newborn is very dangerous
    At least one cracked skull every week at Brisbane children's from this alone
    Find this difficult to believe. I showered with both of mine with no issues, accidents or near accidents. It was a very special bonding time which was much more enjoyable than the screaming bath time would bring every time without fail.

There have also been deaths with co-sleeping but the positives have also been well researched and highlighted. I believe, as with anything to do with a newborn/toddler/child, care needs to be taken.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strawberry Kisses For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    Showering with a newborn is very dangerous
    At least one cracked skull every week at Brisbane children's from this alone
    October, how do you know that? Just curious if it is a real stat or if you have inside info. ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Options= Bath the at different times...Like when one of them is sleeping,or when your DH is home.Another option (but you need 2 parents).All jump in bath together...my kids loved this.My older DS could hold and watch DS2,and I was right there with them in the bath.Or else just chuck them in together,and have everything in arms reach so you always have a hand on a kid. As long as you are prepared,have everything at hand..it can run pretty smoothly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 22 months old and a 3 months old, this week I've been on my own since his birth (my parents were here they're now gone DH gets home around 5:30/6pm)
    Trial and error dictates that mine get separate bed baths. My youngest gets a bath anytime between 3:30 and 5pm where my toddler "helps" it's messy but makes for happy kids, feed and them he goes down and usually sleeps a good 5 hours which gives me time to unwind toddler, give her dinner bath and bed. Could your little one go down for a nap? It really means your bed time routine starts at like 3pm but better than two over tiered wired up kids (done that!)