+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to juggle 2.5 year old and new baby at bed & bath time

Hi everyone, would really like to hear how people manage this as currently spending everyday dreading 5pm!

My 11 week old is screaming to be held during my toddler's bath time. I wear him in the sling but I'm finding it impossible to bathe my toddler like this because it's difficult to bend over the bath and wash/dry her, lift her out etc. She always dripping wet and shivering by the time we get her in her bedroom. Everyone ends up just getting v upset at a time in the day where they should be winding down for bed with what used to be a nice soothing ritual. My 11 week old is not content in the bouncer in the bathroom as he can't really see what's going on, no end of singing has helped either. He just wants to be hugged at the end of the day too as I guess his brain is pretty frazzled.

What do you do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 18months when my 2nd was born and I used to just jump in the shower with both of them (holding NB with DD playing on the floor). My newborn actually preferred the shower (hated the bath, same as my DD when she was born). I still had toys, etc in the shower for DD and we still do the same now (they're now aged 3yrs and 22 months and also love baths together!) although I usually sneak out after a bit to get dressed in peace for 5 minutes while they play in there (in the next room so I can still hear them and check on them).

If we have a third I won't even bother with baths for the first few months.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Strawberry Kisses For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Showering with a newborn is very dangerous
    At least one cracked skull every week at Brisbane children's from this alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bath my 2 year old and my 7 week old together. Then I dry & dress my 7 week old in the bathroom while DD has a play in the bath for a bit longer. My little guy just chills out after his bath on a folded towel under a hard plastic toy frame while I get DD out & dressed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Subbing as I'm dreading this day that will come soon enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Baby swing, which is different to bouncer. Saved my sanity when number 2 came along.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 06-02-2014 at 05:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I put both kids in the bath together (21 month age gap), and had everything for newborn in the bathroom. He got out first, got dressed while toddler played in the bath and often had a breastfeed at this time too.

Got toddler out and we all went to lounge. Baby in a bouncer that i could rock with my foot and get toddler dressed. Baby maybe fed now or again. Feed toddler to sleep and get to bed then whatever for baby.

If bath at this time is not working, and you don't want to bathe both bubs, can you move toddlers bath to an earlier time for a few weeks or months?

Can toddler have a bath in the sink instead (so you don't have to lean over)? Can toddler have a shower instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take baby bouncer into the bathroom, have both kids clothing and towels ready to go.

Bath both at the sane time, a baby bath seat/recline thingy is very handy to have.
    Wash bub first, dry, dress and pop in bouncer while you do the toddler.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Can you switch to bathing in the morning or at a different time to see if that helps? That way its away from arsenic hour?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I do both mine at the same time, same ages as yours. Toddler plays in bath while baby lies on bath insert which is great. Then I pull baby out and dry and dress her while toddler plays.

I also shower with both too. I'm surprised there have been so many accidents showering babies. I hug her tight to me chest and always have two hands on her.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (06-02-2014)