+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamKaash View Post
    I suffer a similar pain and find only one thing relieves the nerve and muscle pain. Using a golf ball, I 'dig' into my bum cheek. You can start by laying on the ball on your bed or start with a tennis ball, and gradually try a firmer surface to get in deeper. The trick is to use your body weight to eventually relax into the ball, so lay in one place on the ball for a few minutes then move around. Even target spots that don't feel too sore, and especially near the coccyx bone. After 24 hours of feeling a bit bruised I find huge relief. I had 6 months of Physio but nothing helped until I realised the pain was just extreme tightness in those muscles and I used my own technique to dig deep! I hope it helps you too!
    Thanks TeamKaash. I actually did try the tennis ball self help when I was pregnant, but somehow felt it made my pain worse. Maybe it was just bruising! I probably will have to give it another go now.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,764
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    465
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusway View Post
    Yeah, seems like the way! This is my first week with 3 appointments with the chiro. She has recommended I do 3 weeks with 3 appointments each.

    How many weeks/months later did you feel better cindye? Does this pain go away forever? One can always hope!
    I went 3 times a week for a few weeks, then twice a week for a couple more, then down to once a week, then fortnightly. It probably took 6 weeks to get to the point where the pain was noticeably absent. Since Christmas I've been monthly and it's only the last few days before an adjustment that it starts to bother me. The chiro sent me for X-rays and I have a very screwed up lower back and pelvis. Basically I'll have to go for the rest of my life to manage the pain.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    I went 3 times a week for a few weeks, then twice a week for a couple more, then down to once a week, then fortnightly. It probably took 6 weeks to get to the point where the pain was noticeably absent. Since Christmas I've been monthly and it's only the last few days before an adjustment that it starts to bother me. The chiro sent me for X-rays and I have a very screwed up lower back and pelvis. Basically I'll have to go for the rest of my life to manage the pain.
    Oh cindye, I am glad you are feeling better, but I totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I just want to feel 'normal' again, which is just walking without limping.

    Atleast your chiro treatments give me hope that mine may work too.

    Was your pain post pregnancy or is this something you have always had?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,764
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    465
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusway View Post
    Oh cindye, I am glad you are feeling better, but I totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I just want to feel 'normal' again, which is just walking without limping.

    Atleast your chiro treatments give me hope that mine may work too.

    Was your pain post pregnancy or is this something you have always had?
    I've had on and off pain since my late teens- it was discovered then that one if my legs is quite a bit shorter than the other, so my pelvis is crooked. I had terrible sciatica with my first pregnancy, but I was doing office work, so sitting down most of the time. I was seeing a chiro who specialised in Webster technique for pregnancy and she sorted me out. For my next two pregnancies, I was quite active, doing a lot of walking every day and that really helped me with the pain. I know exercise really helps me, and I'm so slack! Anyway, all last year it was getting bad, to the point that I was in constant pain. And then I decided to do something about it!
    After I had my X-rays I told my chiro that my husband jokes about needing to upgrade our health cover in the future to include hip replacements, and he said he's not far off. So I think probably down the track I'll be looking at that possibility, but for now, I'm happy to be virtually pain free if I stick with my regular chiro visits.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    I've had on and off pain since my late teens- it was discovered then that one if my legs is quite a bit shorter than the other, so my pelvis is crooked. I had terrible sciatica with my first pregnancy, but I was doing office work, so sitting down most of the time. I was seeing a chiro who specialised in Webster technique for pregnancy and she sorted me out. For my next two pregnancies, I was quite active, doing a lot of walking every day and that really helped me with the pain. I know exercise really helps me, and I'm so slack! Anyway, all last year it was getting bad, to the point that I was in constant pain. And then I decided to do something about it!
    After I had my X-rays I told my chiro that my husband jokes about needing to upgrade our health cover in the future to include hip replacements, and he said he's not far off. So I think probably down the track I'll be looking at that possibility, but for now, I'm happy to be virtually pain free if I stick with my regular chiro visits.

    Wow, I can't imagine how much pain you must have been in for years cindye. I am tired just after a few months. During my first pregnancy 3 yrs ago, I had lower back pain, but with this pregnancy, I developed sciatica.

    Though people suggested I see a chiro during my pregnancy, I didn't, because I had never been to one previously, and didn't want to risk it during my pregnancy.

    Even after 4 treatments, I feel so much better. I hope I keep getting better over the next couple of weeks. The hardest bit is feeling better and then back to stiffness and pain looking after baby all day long. Unfirtunatety there is not much I can do about it.

    It is great you found exercise helpful. What kind of exercise did you manage with the pain? I am lucky if I can walk for 15 to 20 min without breaking down. However, I do have to make an effort to do it, as I am overweight, and losing a few kilos would definitely help.

    I hope the pain leaves you permanently and never comes back!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,764
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    465
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasusway View Post
    Wow, I can't imagine how much pain you must have been in for years cindye. I am tired just after a few months. During my first pregnancy 3 yrs ago, I had lower back pain, but with this pregnancy, I developed sciatica.

    Though people suggested I see a chiro during my pregnancy, I didn't, because I had never been to one previously, and didn't want to risk it during my pregnancy.

    Even after 4 treatments, I feel so much better. I hope I keep getting better over the next couple of weeks. The hardest bit is feeling better and then back to stiffness and pain looking after baby all day long. Unfirtunatety there is not much I can do about it.

    It is great you found exercise helpful. What kind of exercise did you manage with the pain? I am lucky if I can walk for 15 to 20 min without breaking down. However, I do have to make an effort to do it, as I am overweight, and losing a few kilos would definitely help.

    I hope the pain leaves you permanently and never comes back!
    It's good that the sessions are starting to help you!
    I find walking is the best exercise- just keeping the hip joint and surrounding muscles flexible means that everything stays where its supposed to be. Pilates is also great for strengthening those core muscles, because good posture definitely helps.
    Have you got a heat pack you can use on your lower back/butt? I have a long rectangular wheat pack that I'd heat up and then lay on a long scarf. I'd fold the scarf in half length-wise then tie it around my hips. It's probably just in my mind, but I found the heat helped.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    It's good that the sessions are starting to help you!
    I find walking is the best exercise- just keeping the hip joint and surrounding muscles flexible means that everything stays where its supposed to be. Pilates is also great for strengthening those core muscles, because good posture definitely helps.
    Have you got a heat pack you can use on your lower back/butt? I have a long rectangular wheat pack that I'd heat up and then lay on a long scarf. I'd fold the scarf in half length-wise then tie it around my hips. It's probably just in my mind, but I found the heat helped.
    You are definitely right about walking. The physio asked me to get out of my office chair and go for a walk every 20 min during my pregnancy. These days, I am led by the baby. I spend quite a few hours sitting down and feeding her.

    I used the heat pack during my pregnancy and it seemed to help when it was on. However, the physio as well as the chiro asked me to use the cold pack, which is what I am using right now. Not sure if it helps but alternating it with a heat pack may be a good way to go.

    It's funny my diagnosis was pretty similar to yours. The chiro looked at my spine X-rays and said my left hip was a bit higher than the right and the sacrum was quite twisted. Guess it's all the waddling I did during pregnancy!

    To top the sciatic pain, I have high blood pressure, which seems to be playing up over the last 2 days. It's just doom and gloom over here. I need a miracle cure for all my ailments !


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sciatica in the first trimester?
    By Colbie in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-01-2014, 13:47
  2. Possible TMI - intense pain in groin after running
    By Oblena in forum General Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 21:08
  3. Sciatica. How did you deal with it?
    By JungleMum in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-05-2013, 16:29

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
TPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates
TPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates has three clinics located at Morningside, Redlands and Lutwyche. We offer pre and post natal services as well as physiotherapy and Pilates. All clinics offer child minding services so bubs are always welcome!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!