+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Intense Sciatica - I need HELP!

I've had sciatic pain (or what I think is sciatic pain) throughout my pregnancy which was most of last year. It has been a radiating pain starting in the middle of my left buttock and pulsing down my left thigh. Luckily, the pain didn't go down to my toes. The pain was so debilitating, I couldn't walk or move most days.

As this pain only started as part of my pregnancy, I thought it would go away after delivery. I delivered my baby in December last year, and 7 weeks later the pain hasn't gone away. In fact, the pain seems worse, because I am putting a lot of pressure on my body, with my baby being so little.

During pregnancy, my GP asked me to see a physio, and went for a couple of sessions with no improvement. After that I just went for remedial massage every week and controlled my pain with painkillers. Post pregnancy I am still taking painkillers and have seen the chiro 4 times. The chiro seems to be helping a little, but still not enough.

I need some help and reassurance that this pain will not last forever. Have any of you experienced such pain, especially after delivery? If so, was it diagnosed as sciatic pain? How can I get this pain properly diagnosed? What did you do to relieve this pain? How long did this pain last? How did you manage to take care of the baby with such intense pain and limited movement? Did you try physio, chiro, accupuncture/accupressure or osteopath or some other form of therapy?

Please tell me there is light at the tunnel! I am ready to try anything at this point.
    Last edited by pegasusway; 05-02-2014 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to get a correct diagnosis. It sounds more like a pinched nerve to me, pain down your leg would most likely link to a pinched nerve in your lower back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MummaOJ. When I used the term 'pinched nerve' at the chiro (because that's the sensation I feel), she said there is no such thing as pinched nerve, as nerves cannot be pinched. Haha! She also didn't confirm the sciatica diagnosis. Just said that she is relieving the pressure on the nerves in my lower back.

Who do you think is the best person to do a diagnosis for my condition? My GP wasn't very helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had sciatica, but got relief from both physio and osteo. If you haven't had any relief from either of these, i would ask the GP for a referral to a neuro. Perhaps there is something else going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have ongoing sciatica- my hips go "out" all the time, but late last year I did intensive chiro and now I'm going monthly and it's only the last couple of days before my visit that I start getting pain again. I've basically been pain-free for the first time in my adult life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add that it took a fair few chiro sessions to feel like it was making a difference. After one Appt, it was actually worse! But it was a gradual improvement over 10+ appointments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have sciatica with this pregnancy and found no relief from physio or massage. I'm now into Bowen therapy which has helped tremendously for me! It's gentle and seems to give a lot of relief but I have been going very week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    I should add that it took a fair few chiro sessions to feel like it was making a difference. After one Appt, it was actually worse! But it was a gradual improvement over 10+ appointments.
    Yeah, seems like the way! This is my first week with 3 appointments with the chiro. She has recommended I do 3 weeks with 3 appointments each.

How many weeks/months later did you feel better cindye? Does this pain go away forever? One can always hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer a similar pain and find only one thing relieves the nerve and muscle pain. Using a golf ball, I 'dig' into my bum cheek. You can start by laying on the ball on your bed or start with a tennis ball, and gradually try a firmer surface to get in deeper. The trick is to use your body weight to eventually relax into the ball, so lay in one place on the ball for a few minutes then move around. Even target spots that don't feel too sore, and especially near the coccyx bone. After 24 hours of feeling a bit bruised I find huge relief. I had 6 months of Physio but nothing helped until I realised the pain was just extreme tightness in those muscles and I used my own technique to dig deep! I hope it helps you too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeeG View Post
    I have sciatica with this pregnancy and found no relief from physio or massage. I'm now into Bowen therapy which has helped tremendously for me! It's gentle and seems to give a lot of relief but I have been going very week
    Oh, what is Bowen therapy MeeG? I have never heard of it. Does the pain go away or recur after a couple of days?