+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happypeanut View Post
    The ultrasound technician recommended I come back in a week to check "viability". That sounds awful to me.

Hopefully my levels will be good - I find out on Friday

Thanks VicPark and Tamtam xo
    It's an awful term isn't it? When I went to the GP when is just got my bfp, he said 'we'll send you for a scan to see if it's viable' awful!
    Fx happypeanut your week flies by and next week you see your happy little peanut on ultrasound.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many don't even have a heart beat then! I was also a bleeder, and I mean gushing like I had wet myself. Still got a perfect DD. I would change doctors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Viability scans are done for IVF pregnancies at 7 weeks.. Hb will be low before then. I've booked mine bang on 7 weeks and the receptionist was insistent it not be any earlier..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a scan done with this pregnancy at the same time as you, 5 weeks & 5 days to check that a pregnancy was progressing as I had miscarried 3 times in a row prior.
    A Yolk sac, and fetal pole were visible but no HB. I had a repeat scan done 3 days later- Gest sac,Yolk an fetal pole had grown but still no HB. My OB assured me that this was perfectly normal. So, I think that its a really positive sign that you have HB already even though it may seem low.
    I chose not to go back for further ultrasounds as it was all too stressful but I am currently 22+2 weeks and the baby is healthy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bastian For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (06-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your story and great to hear that you've got a healthy bub on board Bastian

My intuition is telling me that everything is fine. I thought I was lucky to even see a HB. I have been researching female doctors who have an interest in Women's Health as I feel my doctor is not quite right for me anymore.

And I'm not going to that ultrasound place again!

AND my areolas have gone all puffy/hard and weird. Kinda protruding too

I find out my beta results tomorrow morning

xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Peanut,

It's good to hear you've come to a better head-space. Intuition can be a great reliever. Let it give you a bit of stress relief until your test's all get done and come back.

Speaking of... wasn't today the day?? My finger's & toe's have all been crossed for you and I hope all went well.

I'm glad to hear you're seeking a different doctor. Good luck. I think it's important to have a doc that fill's you with some confidence and support, especially when you feel so unsure and vulnerable. I was the same and changed doctors ASAP. I'm already so thankful that I did, I feel much happier now. Also, should things take a turn for the worse, I feel much more supported by my new doctor.

About heart beats - This is a tricky issue because no pregnancy is the same nor is any baby. On top of that, not all sonographers are created equal (we're all human after all). From around 5.5 to 6.5 weeks, it is possible to see the fetal heartbeat with a trans-vaginal ultrasound. That is POSSIBLE, not 100% likely or anything like that, just possible. Still, it is not uncommon for the fetal heart beat to remain undetected until around the 8 week mark. This is not always a sign of miscarriage, however should cause your doctor to keep a closer eye until the heartbeat is detected. From the 8 week point onwards, trans-abdominal ultrasounds are usually adequate for assessing the baby and it's growth & health. Also, it is possible to detect the baby's heart beat using this method around the 7-8 week mark. As for a doppler ultrasound/stethoscope, with some skill and a bit of effort, it can detect the baby's heartbeat around 12 to 14 weeks. Around this point the detection of the heartbeat will become more regular and much easier.

From when it can be registered it generally start's low (around 70-90 bpm) and increases rapidly over time.

NB: I just want to be sure that people understand that I don't claim to be a pro on this stuff. I'm pregnant with my first baby & it's very early on, so I have no real "experience" to speak of at all. I am however a research nut and do my best to find good sources of information using scientific studies and peer reviewed medical journals.
    Last edited by LilBlessing; 07-02-2014 at 15:12.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LilBlessing For This Useful Post:

happypeanut  (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ***UPDATE***

Hi everyone!

Sooooooooo, I went to my doc appointment this morning and PATHOLOGY DIDN'T DO MY BLOODWORK. Grrr. The doctor was pretty po'd at them.

So he told them to urgently do my bloodwork from Wednesday and also got me to do another blood test today so he can compare results. He told me to come in tomorrow to receive them.

I went and got my blood taken, which at this point I was feeling every damn negative emotion (thank you hormones) . I had some hotcakes from Mcdonalds and thought, "Right, I have 2 spare referral slips for ultrasounds at home, I'm just going to go and see if I can get one today."

I managed to get an appointment and everything looked good to me!

CRL 0.39cm (was 0.21cm on Tuesday)
    HR 108bpm (increase from 85bpm)

I am 6 weeks + 1 day going from my first ultrasound (but today's Sonographer estimated me to be 5 weeks + 6 days which I don't quite get seeing as my CRL is looking more like 6 weeks - maybe I'm missing something?)

Phew!

What a day. Apologies for the novel.

xo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to happypeanut For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry at all, the heartbeat has probably only just started, what do they expect at 5.5wks! Doctors should know better. I hope all is fine for you. xx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few days difference in LMP dates and u/s dates are neither here nor there.
    Good news on the increased HR.... Looks like bubs is going strong!
    Congratulations.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awesome news!! Congratulations!!
    (and now I want hotcakes too....)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post: