+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids' activities on one income

Can anyone please offer any tips on affording kids' activities such as swimming, music lessons and sports lessons on one income? DD1 currently does swimming and we have yet to start them for DD2, also looking at the cost of music lessons, etc. for DD1 makes my head spin. I'm currently studying and we've been postponing activities until I find work but there's no guarantee of when I'll find work given my field. Any tips on budgeting for activities please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our local council runs heaps of free activities for kids maybe have a look on your councils website to see if yours does too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If you have a health care card there is a grant you can apply for to help with covering the cost of a sport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a single mum, so obviously one (low) income. I try and shop around between schools for prices, while still getting a quality service. I also choose activities while taking price into consideration.
    So for us- swimming, instead of going to the nice indoor privately run swimming lessons, we go to the council run one. For 3 kids it saved me about $50 a month. Dancing is a cheaper school too, however I would have chosen that one anyway because of it's good values. Those are both payed by the term. Then taekwondo is per month, which is good as I don't know if I could do another per term fee! I've also got annual fees, which are good because they're generally a lot cheaper; I probably pay the same annually as I do for the others per term! These are soccer, Scouts and Joeys.
    I would love to consider music but it is just SO expensive, so that's a no from me on a single income. Another one my kids did that got really expensive as they went up the levels was gymnastics.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    If you have a health care card there is a grant you can apply for to help with covering the cost of a sport.
    Is that in QLD? I think I remember reading it but it was QLD only at the time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids just do one activity a term. Term one and term four are swimming as the pool is shut for the middle terms. They can then do an activity of their choice (within reason) for two terms. Anyway that is what we do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I don't know if it this is what you are referring to, but my friend put me onto these. She got them for her kids and doesn't have a healthcare card.
    She did need references / provide phone numbers for friends of hers who are a teacher and a police officer though. (this is the second elibility criteria).

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/funding/...etstarted.html

ETA: team sports such as soccer / netball aren't too expensive. There are uniforms and fees to pay, but that is that. Certainly a lot cheaper than dancing, but team sports can be painful driving around the countryside to away games.

Another good idea is to check out your local PCYC. They usually have activities along the lines of martial arts, some sort of dancing / gymnastics, and our local has basketball and softball. Our local PCYC charges an annual membership fee then all activities are $7 per session.
    Yep that was it.