+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I think it's a lovely idea and I would just go about asking permission from the parents in the way you've described. Also probably best not to get too attached to the name in case they do object, which could happen given they've got daughters who might like to use it. It's great that you've given so much thought to it and are so respectful.

One of my cousins named her son after one of our uncles that passed away years ago. Nice idea in theory but she never asked my other cousin (uncles daughter) if it would be okay. It's been quite painful for my cousin because now everytime she hears her dad's name it's a bit sad for her thinking of how she might've liked to use the name for her child one day. I found that a bit disrespectful.
    Yes see that is what I'm afraid of. I think we definitely need to make sure both his sisters are ok with it.
    Thankyou for your input.

We do have two other names we like as well just in case they say no.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a member of a family that had our GMa pass & a friend named their DD after her. We weren't consulted but it was such an unbelievable honour to know she meant so much to someone else.

I think it's lovely but do think it's a good idea to check just incase anyone isn't comfortable with it.

We have recently had a DD & wanted to honour my Gma too but it would have been a bit weird to use the same name. But it didn't go with our surname anyway so used a variation for middle name.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love the way you plan to approach this with the family. I think you are doing everything just right. If you don't get the response you hope for, your bub can always have two middle names, or you can still use the name and give your child a nic name. So his legal name is what you want, but he can be known by the nic name. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also agree it's a lovely thing to do, and you are definitely approaching it in the right way.
    Are you close to the sisters at all? If not, it's probably best if the parents ok it, to get them to approach it with the sisters.

*sensitive*
    My aunt, who was truly an amazing person, committed suicide nearly two years ago. When we found out I was pregnant last year we were going to ask my family for permission to use her name as a first name, if we had a girl. We ended up discovering we were having a boy, so it never got asked, as we didn't want to raise it unless 100% certain we were having a girl.
    So we'll never know if it would have been ok or not, but we wouldn't have taken it personally if they had said no for whatever reason.

Give them as much time as possible to think it over, and hopefully they love the idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'd approach the family in the way you are. It also shows them that you are thinking about and care about them too.

If you're worried the sisters would want to use the name maybe you could use both the names you have picked as 2 middle names and have a different first name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd definitely ask the family first.
    I'd use it as a middle name though

Single mum to DS (5y.o)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou everyone.
    I think we will def go ahead and ask them. I would not be offended if they said no. I'd rather give them the chance.

It would be the first name as my dad will be the second name
    Ds1 middle name is after FIL
    ds2 middle name is after DH

So I'd hate to leave my dad out if we have another boy.
    Plus I'm not keen on four names.
    I love the name but like I said we do have back ups if needed

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My half-brother died in an accident a few years ago at 23 and when I got pregnant with DS2 I wanted to give him his middle name. I checked first with my other half-brother ( they were full brothers and very close) and I checked with their mother. I wouldn't have ever named him as a first name as every time I hear the name - not even when it is in relation to my brother but if someone else has the same name or on TV - it makes me sad and I didn't want to feel sad every time I hear my sons name. I like it as a second name - it's just quietly sitting there in honer of my brother.