+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Contraception

I think my cycle is coming back

We need to think about what we'll do for contraception. Ultimately I'd like dh to get the snip but that may be a few years away yet.

So.... What do you use? Do you have any side effects (weight gain in particular)?

I don't like to idea of going back on the pill. I'm still breastfeeding so it will have to be breastfeeding friendly.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MBO!

I've got an Implanon and I love it. It lasts for three years, I have no periods, and it's breastfeeding friendly. It stops you from ovulating so is very reliable.

You do have it injected under the skin which puts some people off but I would rather that than have a Mirena inserted!

Eta, no weight gain here from it either

sent from my magical device

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have an implanon too. It was great and i had no issues until a month or so ago. Since then I have had three separate occasions of spotting/bleeding lasting 3 days or so. Very annoying. It coincided with dropping from 4-5 breastfeeds a day to 2 a day. The same thing happened after I had my DD - the implanon was great until I cut breastfeeds down. The spotting drive me mad. My GP said its really common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi angelini

Thanks for the replies. Implanon seems like a good option but Im a big wuss and the thought of having a piece of plastic underneath my skin sends shivers down my spine. Do they hurt going in and getting removed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got a Mirena and it's perfect. I've had no side effects and it lasts 5 years so for me it's really convenient. Love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Are you not on the mini pill while bf?

I found it very effective while I was bf. I stopped bf at 12 months and now on normal pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I'm not on anything at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've successfully used the pill for a number of years.

It can take a little time for your body to get used to it, but otherwise I find it good.

I set an alarm on my phone so I remember to take it at the same time each day, which is important when you are on a low dose pill like me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    Hi angelini

Thanks for the replies. Implanon seems like a good option but Im a big wuss and the thought of having a piece of plastic underneath my skin sends shivers down my spine. Do they hurt going in and getting removed?
    No pain going in and out. They use a local anesthetic and it just feels a bit weird (pulling etc). I am also bad with things like that and I found it okay (not great, but I coped). I plan on swapping to the mini pill if my spotting continues. I tried it prior to the implanon but had trouble remembering to take it with a newborn around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    No pain going in and out. They use a local anesthetic and it just feels a bit weird (pulling etc). I am also bad with things like that and I found it okay (not great, but I coped). I plan on swapping to the mini pill if my spotting continues. I tried it prior to the implanon but had trouble remembering to take it with a newborn around.
    Thanks sajimum, that's reassuring. Yeh the spotting would be really annoying. I'm worried about remembering to take the pill too, I wasn't that great remembering to take it pre kids!